Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_NYC
Streaming Star

YouTube Playback Speed suddenly no longer available March2022 ?

UPDATE: I use Roku Ultra on a 2017 Samsung 4K tv

After years of the Playback Speed being available on the YouTube Chanel on my Roku device/SmartTV this option is no longer available as of March2022(?) and several format changes have been made on the Roku version of YouTube Channel. 

YouTube Playback works and is available on my computer browser as well as all of the other settings,, but not on the Roku YouTube Channel on my TV.. the Playback speed is no longer an option. 

I realize in 2020 there was a YouTube Playback speed post that referred people to Youtube to solve the issue,, I went there and could not find the answer ... SO, my questions are: 

Did anyone find within the Google/Youtube community or the "Contact us - YouTube Help" area to fix this particular problem of the sudden absence of the Playback Speed option on ROKU? 

OR, Is there an area within the Roku Settings to fix this? 

thank you,,, Jas

57 REPLIES 57
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube Playback Speed suddenly no longer available March2022 ?

Roku supplies the Roku streaming platform.  Channel developers provide a version of their channel apps written to run on the Roku platform. 

The earlier posts you've found saying you need to contact YouTube about the Roku-compatible version of YouTube's app are correct.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
James_NYC
Streaming Star

thank you Maikaiguy,,, and as I stated <<"I went there (YouTube customer service/community forum) and could not find the answer">> 

So that is why I asked <<"Did anyone find within the Google/Youtube community or the "Contact us - YouTube Help" area to fix this particular problem of the sudden absence of the Playback Speed option on ROKU? ">> 

thank you

DBDukes

@James_NYC 

I'm not experiencing that issue. Those that have reported the issue, when they actually bother to check the version of the app, had an older version. As for why, I have no idea. Google would control that. But I have the speed controls on mine.

What version/build of the YouTube app do you have?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Never needed to adjust playback speed ever while viewing YouTube. Either on my phone, laptop or Roku. Just decided to check YouTube playback on my Roku TV. The option is there but I don't have a reason to every use it. 

0 Kudos
James_NYC
Streaming Star

Interesting that it is still available on your ROKU TV @AeroSpaceTech ... as I mentioned it just happened earlier this month (3/2022) ,, perhaps when your set updates it may disappear (?) very curious.

I'm glad you never felt the need to change speed,,,,,, it is extremely useful when listening to long TED talks or a long Commentary or most anything you can up the speed to x1.5 or even higher and thus be able to see much more content,,, at x1.25 you don't even realize there is a difference until the end of your evening when you see you've seen 9 more clips than you otherwise would have. 

other content that you want to SLOW down,,, there is that option as well,,, like when the swimsuit model is walking by. (just JOKING 😄

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC  I own about 8 Roku devices. All are fully up to date. I always run a manual update check. I also change to the server to push updates. 

DBDukes

@James_NYC wrote:

Interesting that it is still available on your ROKU TV... as I mentioned it just happened earlier this month (3/2022) ,, perhaps when your set updates it may disappear (?) very curious....

My Roku device isn't a Roku TV. The YouTube app is 2.21 build 94005088

Everyone that reported an issue and reported their version number had a lower number. I really believe mine's up to date.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

James_NYC
Streaming Star

UPDATE: I found my version by selecting the channel and *, thank you @HDMIGuy 

I'm at: 2.21 Build 94005088 

Thank you DBDukes,,,, I am not sure what version or even how to find what version one may have on my Roku channel on my TV,, (and I googled 'how') or on my desktop for that matter.

Again, both the desktop computer version and my TV streamed version both had the save selections when viewing a video... and suddenly on my TV it "upgraded" I would imagine as there are several different formats one of them being the ELIMINATION of the playback speed mode ,, which I like as I can watch more content. 

Even if I knew the version of the TV vs the Desktop I'm not sure of how to 'revert' back to before 3/2022 version. 

I'm just hoping Google gets the message and puts it back on. 

I also see this question has been brought up on Reddit,, but no answer yet

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC  Highlight a channel (YouTube) abc press the * button