Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube Playback Speed suddenly no longer available March2022 ?

@James_NYC wrote:

,,, while watching a YouTube video, instead of hitting the 'up arrow' button on the Roku remote to access the "More" selection where the Playback speed used to be,,,, 

as @AeroSpaceTech tech pointed out, press the * button on your Roku device while playing a YouTube video and a sidebar appears.... and click on the "Accessibility" bar and all sorts of cool selections come up including "Speed Rate" and by clicking that you get a choice of slow, normal, fast and very fast....

I still have it on the timeline, the older location you described. I've not used it in the sidebar.

Now I'm wondering why different users have different ways of accessing with the same app version. Not that important, I suppose, since you have a way to access it, and that was what you were after.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

James_NYC
Streaming Star

I do not have Premium @DBDukes ,,,, but I didn't have it before,,,  and the Playback speed was visible when I selected "more" (a few weeks ago)

Matusow
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately this does not change the speed that the YOU TUBE video plays at. This only adjustment the speed of the ROKU TV talking feature that can be used in the accessibly area. Primarily used for people who have some visual impairment or have difficulty making adjustments on their TV without an auditable instruction. It has nothing to do with YOU TUBE PLAY SPEEDS.

AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@James_NYC  FYI…..,I never said to do that while watching YouTube. You said you didn’t know what version of YouTube you’re using. So I told you how. Yes you misunderstood what I wrote

James_NYC
Streaming Star

Yes, thank you @Matusow ,, I see that now that I have been playing with it for awhile now,, it IS , as you say, "Primarily used for people who have some visual impairment or have difficulty making adjustments on their TV without an auditable instruction." and not for the play speed,,, 

which brings me back to the original question and maybe I now need to "UN" solution as the question is still up in the air as to how to adjust the SPEED of the YouTube Video itself...

James_NYC
Streaming Star

apologize for the mistake,,, yes @AeroSpaceTech I did misread the post,, but I guess I "did" find the sidebar and accessibility feature, ,so, I guess that was a good thing,, thank you again

DBDukes

@James_NYC wrote:

Yes, thank you @Matusow ,, I see that now that I have been playing with it for awhile now,, it IS , as you say, "Primarily used for people who have some visual impairment or have difficulty making adjustments on their TV without an auditable instruction." and not for the play speed,,, 

which brings me back to the original question and maybe I now need to "UN" solution as the question is still up in the air as to how to adjust the SPEED of the YouTube Video itself...

So, here's where we stand. App version doesn't matter, as I have the feature on my app, and you have the same app, but don't have the functionality.

YouTube hasn't move the functionality to a Premium feature. @HDMIGuy doesn't have Premium, but does have the functionality.

We're not quite back to square one, as we have ruled out two possibilities.

Gotta ask this, @James_NYC : When you go up from the timeline, where the "More" icon is and you can Like/Unlike a video, what are all the options you have there, after activating "More"?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Matusow
Reel Rookie

I just spent a good amount of time on the phone with TCL tech support (the manufacture of my 55" TV) .  After a lengthy exchange of TV make and model and software versions I was told they have no fix and that I should call ROKU. They provided me with a ROKU phone number 816-272-8106.

The recorded message says they do not offer phone technical support and to look on the web.  A real CATCH 22

DBDukes

@Matusow 

I'm thinking it's Google, actually. I know that at one time it was possible for apps to look different on different devices. First time I recall seeing that was when Netflix updated their Roku app to use profiles. Older (now called Legacy and no longer supported) Roku devices had a different interface from the newer devices (Roku 3, for example). If memory serves, the app versions were the same, they just presented different looks and functionality to the user.

If that is possible, it could be that Google is only offering the functionality on certain devices. The Roku model number would determine that.

Whether or not I'm going down a valid path, I really don't know. The normal things to check -- app version/build and account differences -- aren't the cause, or so it seems.

Can anyone from Roku, or other long-time users, recall the app difference I'm talking about? Might this be possible?

DBDukes

Matusow
Reel Rookie

I wish i had the answer.

On my other older TV with an Amazon  FIRE STICK I can adjust play speeds and on my PC with CHROME I can adjust play speeds. I don't understand why with ROKU on my TCL i can not.