Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vkapella
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

Videos were blocked on my Roku TV's and my Apple TV.   But not my iPad/iPhone.   Very frustrating to troubleshoot.   However, I did not enter a birth year into Google/YouTube when I set them up 10 years ago.   Once I entered the birth date, voila, problem fixed.    I too initially though Roku must be blocking content I wanted to see.    I was making assumptions.   And you know what they say about people that make assumptions.

Do yourself a favor.   Quit arguing and update your google/youtube profile and be happy.

0 Kudos
Ksakamoto
Reel Rookie

Don't know if this has been answered, but you probably need to go to your Google account and update your information by entering your birth date. Looks like Roku/YouTube app confirms by checking your Google account info and if it is lacking a birthday it defaults to restrict content.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Ksakamoto wrote:

Don't know if this has been answered, but you probably need to go to your Google account and update your information by entering your birth date. Looks like Roku/YouTube app confirms by checking your Google account info and if it is lacking a birthday it defaults to restrict content.

Apparently reading the thread and the repeated solution throughout it was a bridge too far....

0 Kudos
Ksakamoto
Reel Rookie

@StreamerUser  kind of was. 7 pages of mostly sassy comments. please forgive me professor stream master. Let's get to 8 pages Heart 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

7 pages of "sassy" comments you read, but yet you "dont know if its been answered".

Perhaps you interpreted "solution" as "sassy"...

Even reading the last post in the thread before yours that (once again) explicitly stated the solution was too much - you had to ignore it, and repeat it.

Theres no doubt that a doctorate is required for this level of reading comprehension - its not like any average elementary schooler can parse through 7 pages of the same repeated solution and glean it...

0 Kudos
Ksakamoto
Reel Rookie

@StreamerUser Sorry Sir you're right. I feel bad for violating the forum rules. I can be a real nincompoopWoman Sad

0 Kudos
Kissme82

Well here it is 6/16/21 and no the originally poster isn't wrong.. just bought my Roku 3 nights ago and can't watch age restricted videos (i.e teen mom lol). I've been to my settings on YouTube on my tv to request NOT to age redistrict what I watch.  I just went to watch said show and it ask do you want to play video maybe inappropriate to some users. I click I wish to proceed then it says something went wrong.. now I can watch it still on my hp Android laptop and my phone.. just NOT on the Roku.. so yes it's a Roku problem

0 Kudos
vkapella
Channel Surfer

The behavior you describe - works on other platform, but not Roku - is fixed by setting your birthdate - with year of birth - in Google/YouTube account profile.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Kissme82 It's not a setting on the Roku. It's your Google account itself. You MUST enter your birth year in your Google account. Then YouTube will not be restricting anything on any platform.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Go into the Personal info of your google account and input your birthday and the age restriction will be lifted on youtube.