Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV+ playback not working on Roku

Jump to solution

@Lyrlen wrote:

I’ve told Apple and I will post it here as well,  the 3710 is one of the few Devices that works with older TVs.  Not everyone can afford to or wants to buy a new TV.  It worries me that Roku has discontinued products that work with older TVs.  I wonder how long they will support them.  How long will my  Roku work in the future?.  It bothers me that instead of trying to get Apple  to support the 3710. Roku just waves it off after all Roku hasn’t  a replacement for the 3710 that works with old TVs

App developers/providers determine what models work with which versions of their apps - not Roku.  Its solely and entirely Apple's choice/determination.

As far as Roku's composite support goes:  I have a 2710 (Fall 2013 model) and a 3910 (Fall 2017 model), both with composite output, and both have 10.0.0-4209 (the latest version/build of RokuOS).

Thats nearly 8 years worth of OS updates for the 2710, and nearly 4 years for the 3910 - using the 2710 as a baseline, your 3710 (Fall 2016 model) should have at least another 3 years.

FYI, the 3910 is the direct replacement for the 3710 (released a year later, though also discontinued).  As it happens, the 3910 has had its share of issues with composite output with apps in general from time to time, and specifically with Apple apps (Apple TV, AirPlay) via composite or HDMI, though all have been fixed eventually.

If you cant get your hands on a 3910, and need composite output, get a HDMI>composite converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Composite-Adapter-Supports-Blu-Ray/dp/B0814Z34XG/ref=asc_df_B0814Z3...

..or any of the near identical devices for $10-15 and then use whatever Roku model (or other device) you want and not be concerned with direct RCA/composite support.

0 Kudos
TrashTsar
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV+ playback not working

Jump to solution

My Roku device is plugged into an older, non-smart Vizio TV. I tried all of the other suggestions in this thread without success. But Chickenlips's work-around of starting the Apple TV show on an Apple device, pausing it, then moving to the Roku worked! I use my wife's iPhone. Of course, if you don't have an Apple device, then I guess you are out of luck.

0 Kudos
HielanLass

Jump to solution

I’m running a Premiere 3290x off an older Vizio.  Everything was fine, and then all of a sudden AppleTV will no longer play.  It will play shows I’ve watched before just fine, but will no longer play “new” shows.  I have reset/turned off auto adjust display refresh rate.  I have removed Apple TV, restarted the Roku and reloaded Apple TV.  I tried the start it on the iPad then move to Roku workaround - no luck.  I tried to cast it directly from my iPad but the program format won’t play on my TV.

This thread’s been open for 19 months and there’s no solution?!

0 Kudos
Lyrlen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku does not consider it a problem because Apple+ never officially agreed to run on some Roku devices.  And even if Apple had Roku would not consider it their problem because they are not responsible for writing the apps the services are.  Forget about trying Apple because their is no one you can talk to direct for Apple+ Service.  They service people want to help but unless it’s Apple Hardware they can’t.  And as far as I can tell Roku just doesn’t care and won’t bother to help. Their solution is buy a new Roku product 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@HielanLass wrote:

I’m running a Premiere 3290x off an older Vizio.  Everything was fine, and then all of a sudden AppleTV will no longer play.  It will play shows I’ve watched before just fine, but will no longer play “new” shows.  I have reset/turned off auto adjust display refresh rate.  I have removed Apple TV, restarted the Roku and reloaded Apple TV.  I tried the start it on the iPad then move to Roku workaround - no luck.  I tried to cast it directly from my iPad but the program format won’t play on my TV.

This thread’s been open for 19 months and there’s no solution?!

There was an ATV app update (7.0.126) on Monday 7/19 - this was the likely source of your changed ATV app behavior.  You didnt mention your firmware version, but its likely 10.0.0-4209 (Settings/System/About)

Not that it will mean much for you, but the ATV (7.0.126) app plays content without issue (including playing a "new"/previously unwatched show) on my Express+ 3910 using composite output.  Sometimes it has to be loaded twice, and thats because the ATV app uses a "hidden" external code library that has to be loaded first, and this uses more memory which causes more app loading issues on low-memory models (like the Express models).,

Because of this increased ATV app memory usage issue, there are some workarounds/solutions to try:

1) Check for updates: Settings/System/System updates/Check now - try again

2) Change your Theme to the Roku Default: Settings/Theme/Restore default theme - try again

3) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock: Settings/Theme/Screensavers - try again

4) Remove ATV app, RESTART ROKU: Settings/System/System restart/Restart, Add ATV app - try again

5) Remove unused apps - try again

6) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

7) Completely unplug power from Roku for 10-15 minutes - try again

😎 Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- last resort

FYI, There are different problems being lumped into this thread covering different models, different firmware versions, and different ATV app versions - threads like this often become as they are over time because of search results and Roku thread "advertising" at the community home page.

Regardless, the ATV app is entirely coded/published/maintained,/controlled by Apple.    Its best to address problems with the ATV app to Apple since they are they only ones that can do anything about it:

https://support.apple.com/contact

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Lyrlen wrote:

Roku does not consider it a problem because Apple+ never officially agreed to run on some Roku devices.  And even if Apple had Roku would not consider it their problem because they are not responsible for writing the apps the services are.  Forget about trying Apple because their is no one you can talk to direct for Apple+ Service.  They service people want to help but unless it’s Apple Hardware they can’t.  And as far as I can tell Roku just doesn’t care and won’t bother to help. Their solution is buy a new Roku product 

Its not a matter of Apple "agreeing" with Roku as to what models are covered by the app - Apple (or any app publisher) solely determines and controls this when they publish the ATV app to the Roku channelstore.

The Apple TV app is separate from the Apple TV+ subscription service (you can install and use the ATV app and never subscribe to Apple TV+).

Roku isnt going to provide any (better) support for the ATV app because Apple doesnt or you dont prefer Apple's support.

I highly suggest you check your upgrade offers: https://my.roku.com/upgrade/  - the Express 4k+  may be offered at $25 for you, and coupled with an HDMI>Composite converter, will give you an affordable upgrade solution that will last you for years to come.

0 Kudos
potterj
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same problem: Apple TV working for awhile, then suddenly not. Everything else works. Went through a couple of hours of troubleshooting with Apple reps, including uninstalling and reinstalling several times. 

The app works on my phone, so it's not that. Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@potterj wrote:

I have the same problem: Apple TV working for awhile, then suddenly not. Everything else works. Went through a couple of hours of troubleshooting with Apple reps, including uninstalling and reinstalling several times. 

The app works on my phone, so it's not that. Any ideas? 

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About) or app version (highlight the app and press Options (*) on the remote).

You also need to be more specific about "have the same problem" (this is a large thread with different problems stated).

FYI, the correct procedure to re-install an app on Roku:

1) Remove the app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the app

(Otherwise, if you dont restart settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

The ATV app on your phone working/not working is irrelevant (different OS).

TrashTsar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This was very helpful and so far has cured our problem with Roku playing the Apple TV app.

Key points--Remove the app, then restart Roku, then reinstall the app. Only caveat is that on our first attempt to run the app after these steps, Roku crashed. But after another Roku restart, we have succeeded three times in a row in launching shows using Apple TV. Thanks!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@TrashTsar wrote:

This was very helpful and so far has cured our problem with Roku playing the Apple TV app.

Key points--Remove the app, then restart Roku, then reinstall the app. Only caveat is that on our first attempt to run the app after these steps, Roku crashed. But after another Roku restart, we have succeeded three times in a row in launching shows using Apple TV. Thanks!

Good feedback, remember you can/should follow the reinstall procedure if any particular app is having issues.

0 Kudos