Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The most recent update made these cameras worse.. will there be a fix? (indoor Roku cameras)

I’ll be honest, when I originally purchased these cameras, I didn’t expect much, however, seeing how they were “Roku”, a known name brand, I figured they couldn’t be thaaat bad, but I was wrong.

1) The sound quality is bad. The constant “wooshing” (sounds like light wind) noise, also confirmed by others with these cameras, is annoying. I made my peace with it, but it looks like in the last update they tried fixing it by lowering the volume of the recorded sound, but that just made things worse considering you can barley hear anything, and the wooshing sound is still there. No this isn’t ambient sound, and it’s rather pathetic (with all due respect) considering those cheap eBay cameras record better sound quality.

2) The update made recordings worse. Previously, if the camera detected movement, it would continue recording until the movement stopped, even if there was 5 minutes of movement, now however, it’ll stop recording mid-motion. For example, people will be moving in front of the camera for about 5 minutes, and there will be only a minute and a half of recorded time. What am I paying a subscription for?

3) Though this is just a lack of feature issue, and not a technical issue, still, this is incredibly worth mentioning. Will there ever be an update where we can watch what’s recorded on the SD card directly from the app? One of our cameras, we use continuous recording to the SD card, it’s incredibly inconvenient to have to remove the SD card each and every time we want to refer back to something.. we actually broke one of the SD card slots for one of the cameras having to do this so much. Is this just a way to push people to pay for the subscription or is it really that hard to implement this feature?

4) Record times are getting out of wack. The cameras now will only record 1 SECOND, yes, that’s not a typo, ONE SECOND, of video if it detects short lived motion at times, whereas before the update, it would continue to record for at least 12 seconds. What’s a 1-3 second video going to do for me? This is terrible, it will literally record separate reals back to back of 3 second, 2 second, etc. video back to back instead of just making one decent sized one to cover the entirety of the motions. 

5) When pressing the “record button” to record manually, we no longer get sound. Yes, all my settings are in order. It worked before the update. 

10 REPLIES 10
PghNana
Channel Surfer

Re: The most recent update made these cameras worse.. will there be a fix? (indoor Roku cameras)

Have your issues resolved? I had issues a couple of days ago, contacted Roku – and they told me that they had an outage of some sort. My cameras were fine all day yesterday – then in the middle of the night last night I’m having more issues. I’ve had the cameras for just over a year and never had any issues until the last app update.  I’m getting ready to chat with Roku support soon…

olddog1
Roku Guru

Re: The most recent update made these cameras worse.. will there be a fix? (indoor Roku cameras)

Roku support is as useless as mammary glands on a bull . They sent men email claiming they tried to call me and got disconnected that i a straight up lie as my mobile phone call logs show no incoming call from Roku ever being made and they are on my contacts list  one of their idiot tech thinks replacing hardware will fix a software issue

QuadCitiesIL
Channel Surfer

Same with mine. I'm super bummed. I use to brag about these cameras. Now one doesn't work and the other one stops streaming, is delayed and it's an all around disappointment. 

ROKU - Please restore the app as it was before the update 

olddog1
Roku Guru

I decided to dump Roku and try the company that supplies Roku with th e cameras Wyse   From what i have ben able to find out They have much better software running the cameras and it can be used both on on mobile devices and PCs

0 Kudos
QuadCitiesIL
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check them out. It's a bummer. I was really liking the rokus especially with having roku tvs. 

0 Kudos
olddog1
Roku Guru

NO problem   I have complaints filed with the FCC  FTC  California state AG and BBB  I have also contacted the top legal experts in California  about starting class action case against Roku   Their HQ  is lo and still make what i am saying clear to everyone on here

olddog1
Roku Guru

I've ben trying to get problems fixed for over  week  if you can even reach them at all  it is always the same old song and dance which are Reinstall ap or escalation team working on it  Junk their **bleep** and go to  better company such as Wyse I have filed complaint with the FFC  FTC  BBB and California sate AG's office and called legal people to statr a class action suit against Roku 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @burgers2023 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for letting us know about the issue you have encountered with your Roku Smart Home camera, and we'd like to gather further details for us to investigate it further. Kindly provide the information below:

• What specific model is your Roku camera?
  • MAC Address and Log ID: From the camera, go to settings > gear > support > submit log.
  • Firmware version

Once these details have been gathered, our team will work on it.

Looking forward to your response regarding this matter.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olddog1
Roku Guru

Roku support i worthless All they will do is tell you reinstall the pp   I was having camera issue they told me uninstall and reinstall install camera    App has not let me reinstall it for over 1 week now    They been spouting  elevation team to me s all that time yet not a god dam thing done to fix the issue    just same tired excuses and run around   Sick of repeating same info to  support over and over   I'm' Junking Roko and going elsewhere and advise other to do the same as  Roko support is as worthless a  **bleep** on a bull

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.