Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Howellton
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Outdoor Camera SE: Motion Events not Triggering

I had this problem and was able to correct it without support.

I had an issue adding a 5th and 6th camera.  It would connect to the account but was not recording video events only images.
I noticed that in the recording settings, the purple home icon was missing from these cameras while the other cameras displayed this icon in settings.IMG_4037.jpeg
If you do not see the purple home icon that means it was not provisioned to your subscription.  I already had the Roku Plus subscription so it was not the trial causing the issue.
This was also not a wifi signal issue.

I had to delete the camera and re-add it to my account.  One camera I had to delete and re-add twice to get it working.  

Check your subscrpition tab in your Account settings on your app to verify all of your cameras are listed under your subscription.

You may have to delete and re-add more than once to get a camera working.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Howellton,

Thanks for posting about this issue, and welcome to the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to assist you with your Roku outdoor camera SE not triggering the motion events. Please try the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Confirm the Roku Smart Home app and Roku outdoor camera SE firmware are up to date.
  2. Confirm if there aren’t any scheduled rules that might affect when event recording takes place.
    • Tap the [...] at the top of the Roku Smart Home app.
    • Tap Edit Rules.
    • It should bring up a list of any rules that have been created.

If the problem still persists, please be advised that if neither detection setting is enabled, the camera will not record events. You can change detection settings for motion and sound in the app. You can change the zone detection, motion tagging, and sensitivity settings further to adjust when an event recording is triggered.

You can also check out this support article here on how to set up and view recordings on your Roku Smart Home camera or video doorbell.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Howellton
Reel Rookie

I already resolved the problem and simply shared what I noticed and how I fixed it.  I appreciate your reply but, rules are not the issue here as I do not use them.  This is probably the case with many new users who just setup their new cameras.  Most likely they have not yet created rules.  

The problem is mentioned earlier in the thread by Roku support and their suggestion to delete/re-add the device works, but may not on the first try.  I posted the screenshot of what it looks like when the device is fully licensed.

The Roku software has an occaisional issue provisioning the device on the first attempt if you have a plus subscription.  This same behavior may affect someone with a trial account.

The device will show up in your list of cameras in live view but not in the list of cameras in your Profile under Account and Subscription.