Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RJ34120
Channel Surfer

Outdoor wireless camera misses 1/2 the motion

I have the wireless outdoor camera with a solar panel attached and an SD memory card installed.  The firmware is 3.21.408.

I have had several videos of wildlife, Panthers, Bobcats, Raccoons and Armadillos.  Each of videos start halfway into the action.  Just an hour ago a Bobcat walked in front of the camera and most of the action was missed.

I have detection distance set at 50 and sensitivity set to 100.  Detection zone is turned off.  I have motion events on, cooldown set to No Cooldown and video length set to 5 min.  I have night vision set to ON and IR lights ON.

Am I missing something? 

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Outdoor wireless camera misses 1/2 the motion

I would say you're not missing anything.  It doesn't start recording until it detects motion, which appears to take a few seconds.  Other cameras I've used have a buffer so they can give you the few seconds of video before motion was detected, but not the Roku from what I've observed.

I think you could put an SD card in the base station and have it continuously record, but having to go through the video to find something interesting probably won't be fun not to mention having to remove the card to view the recording.  Putting an SD card in a camera that's mounted and hard to access would be even worse.

How to install a micro SD card in your Roku Smart Home camera | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RJ34120
Channel Surfer

Re: Outdoor wireless camera misses 1/2 the motion

I have SD cards in both the camera and base. My first set of cameras were Logitech Alert and they recorded continuously and then saved a few seconds prior to and after the detected activity. What you got was a complete video of what happened. If someone or something walked into the view of the camera, you got a recording of the entire scene starting with no one / nothing in the view and then the entire trip the person / critter made through the area ending with and empty scene.

I took the SD card out of the base station and looked at the contents.  The base SD card contained a collection of photographs from each recording the camera had taken.  It did not contain any videos.  I don't understand the utility of the SD cards and the explanations for them that I have seen don't match up with what my camera is doing.

I'm a little frustrated by the lack of information and support for these cameras.  There is very little help available as to how to make the cameras operate the way you want them to, etc.  Between our two homes, I have at least one of every model of camera Roku sells - six cameras in total (everything but the floodlight).

I will say that the Roku cameras only record relevant action.  I notice that my outdoor camera senses and brackets motion such as tree limbs swaying in the wind, but doesn't record it.  That said, when it does record action, it takes 1/2 of the motion to detect it and then it only captures the final 1/2 of the motion as a video.  If that is a software thing, I hope the Roku gurus tweak the system!

Like I said at the beginning of this post, my best experience with these type of cameras was the Logitech Alert system.  They provided great videos showing everything that happened from beginning to end.  In addition, the files were stored on your computer's hard drive and each file was depicted as a thumbnail photograph that showed the height of the activity.  It was very easy to scan through a large number of files in the event there was a lot of motion detected from wind, etc.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.