Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benaya
Channel Surfer

Outdoor camera stopped working

Jump to solution

My outdoor wireless camera stopped working. I've done everything I know of to troubleshoot, like delete and reinstall app, delete and reinstall camera and base, turned switch in back off and on again, did software update, checked internet connection & I don't think there's anything left to do.  I did get the blue light in back of camera to stay on (was off for a while previously), but camera's still not working.  My first camera was replaced by this one due to problems, so I may just have to change brands because I really need the camera.   Any additional suggestions appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Outdoor camera stopped working

Jump to solution

Hi @Benaya,

Thanks for the response!

I get that the issue of your Roku Outdoor camera is not recording. No worries, I'd be glad to assist you with this issue.

Please note that the Roku smart camera will only record if there is an event or motion detected. Could you please check if there is an event recording from your Roku Ourdoor camera?

In the meantime I suggest you try the following details below

How to choose what to record:
To manage which events are recorded when a motion event is detected, follow these steps.

1. Select your device from the Home screen. Make sure your camera is on and you can view the live stream.
  2. Tap Settings settings icon in Roku Smart Home mobile app in the corner
  3. Select Event recordings
  4. Toggle on Record motion events
  5. Select Smart detection events instead of All motion events
  6. Tap Smart detection

Tap smart detections

1. Toggle off the event types you do not wish to record

Toggle off the event types you do not want to record

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Benaya,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reporting this issue to our attention and for troubleshooting the camera to try to fix it. We would be glad to provide you with additional troubleshooting steps for this issue.

Could you please provide more details about the specific issue with your camera? When you mentioned it's not working, do you mean it has no power, is the device offline, is not recording, or is not sending notifications? This information will help us investigate the issue more thoroughly and offer you specific troubleshooting steps.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. We look forward to your response.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Benaya
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The blue light is on on back of camera, but camera's not recording. alerting, etc. As mentioned, I took all the troubleshooting steps I was aware of to no avail. 

0 Kudos
Sappy4179
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I too am having same issue and Roku has been less than helpful. My camera is less than one year old and under warranty but its like pulling teeth to get a solution or replacement that works.

0 Kudos
Benaya
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry you’re having the same problem. This one is a replacement after last one had issues, and now this one-/ guess it’s been about 6 months. It’s great when working, but I don’t think there are other troubleshooting steps—I think I know them all. Prior to posting here, tried but couldn’t get through to anyone & half  the time, when it gets to the point where you’re supposed to be connected after waiting on hold—nothing happens—silence forever and I’ve had to hang up. Also tried chat but totally not helpful. No way to teach anyone & even the Roku person who asked me for additional information here—still hasn’t responded.  Very poor customer service all the way around. I’ve been without for about 3 days now & need the camera so ordered a different brand with great reviews but haven’t received yet.

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Benaya,

Thanks for the response!

I get that the issue of your Roku Outdoor camera is not recording. No worries, I'd be glad to assist you with this issue.

Please note that the Roku smart camera will only record if there is an event or motion detected. Could you please check if there is an event recording from your Roku Ourdoor camera?

In the meantime I suggest you try the following details below

How to choose what to record:
To manage which events are recorded when a motion event is detected, follow these steps.

1. Select your device from the Home screen. Make sure your camera is on and you can view the live stream.
  2. Tap Settings settings icon in Roku Smart Home mobile app in the corner
  3. Select Event recordings
  4. Toggle on Record motion events
  5. Select Smart detection events instead of All motion events
  6. Tap Smart detection

Tap smart detections

1. Toggle off the event types you do not wish to record

Toggle off the event types you do not want to record

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Benaya
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As of last night, It's begun recording again, but there's no notification sound, despite notifications checked in my phone setting. 

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Benaya,

Thanks for the response.

I'm happy to hear that your camera is finally recording. However, if it's not sending you a notification, kindly provide the following details so that I can coordinate this issue with the appropriate Roku team for review.

• Firmware version of your Roku Smart Device
  • Device Model:
  • MAC address: 
  • App version:
  • Log ID: (pull up your Roku Smart Home app home page > select Account > Roku Support > Submit a Log)

Any additional information will help us to investigate further. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,

Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sappy4179
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My notifications do not work and I have tried every single “solution” Roku has given.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Sappy4179 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you have encountered with your Roku Outdoor Camera that the notifications do not work, and we're here to help.

Use the steps below to choose the motion events that trigger a notification. If you have a Roku Outdoor Camera SE there are some additional steps that are described in the next section.

1. Select your device from the Home screen
  2. Tap Settings in the corner
  3. Select Notifications
  4. Expand Motion events
  5. All events are checked by default. Uncheck any that should no longer trigger a notification. Choosing to only be notified for person events as seen in the example below can reduce your notifications by as much as 70%.

If you ever want to change your notification preferences, you can easily repeat the steps above and re-check any event.

After performing the steps above and the issue is persistent, please provide us with the requested information by @RokuRiamie-D above this thread so we can investigate on this issue further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.