Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dakopyc
Binge Watcher

Re: No video of motion detection

Ditto. Been having the same issue for months now -- for both wired camera as well as for at least one of the "wireless" (i.e. rechargable) Roku cameras.

Even with the camera settings configured for "motion detection" and the firmware updated, I'm still getting (only) still images when motion was detected. No video capture of a few seconds of the event -- though that works fairly reliably for a (different) Roku camera that I use on the front door.

Hmm. Very frustrating as it seems like a basic QA and software issue that should be fairly easy for the Roku team to test and resolve for good. Many customers have been reporting this problem -- and basically makes for a useless security system if it only captures a single frame of the motion event.

Attached is a screenshot -- note the (moving) person is outlined in green -- so the motion detection is working -- but it's just not uploading an actual video of the event -- only a still image. 

Here are the specs of the camera and software version -- also I have a paid subscription for all three cameras in use. 
===========================
Device: Outdoor Wired Camera
Firmware version: 3.0.2.4679
Plugin version: 1.0.0

IMG_4966.jpeg
dakopyc
Binge Watcher

Which post do you mean? Please link to the post directly -- as the member you mention has a *lot* of posts and replies to posts.

0 Kudos
dakopyc
Binge Watcher

I had the same issue: 

Signing out of the app, waiting, and then signing back in didn't fix the issue at all. Restarted the camera several times also. No beans. Ugh. Come on, folks, please FIX the flaky issues around video clip capture!

This product is USELESS as a security camera, unless it's going to reliably capture more than just one still image of the camera when it gets triggered.

Please keep me informed of the timeline for fixing this issue.
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dakopyc,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem on your Roku Smart Home devices, which is only getting still images with no video captured. Please be advised that since you have more than one Roku Smart Home camera, we highly suggest that you update your Roku Smart Home subscription to $3.99 per camera for 1-2 cameras or the Plus Plan. The $3.99 subscription only covers one of your cameras, which is why you may not be able to get the video recording on your other cameras. The Plus Plan can add up to 99 devices for $9.99 per month or $99.99 annually. You can control which of your cameras and doorbells you use with your Roku Smart Home subscription. Cameras and doorbells can be added or removed, and you can switch which ones you use with your subscription at any time. To add cameras or video doorbells to your subscription, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Roku Smart Home Subscription page.
  2. Select Manage your subscriptions.
  3. Under Active Subscriptions, select Roku Smart Home Subscription.
  4. Select Manage subscription.
  5. Check the cameras or doorbells that you want to add.
  6. Complete your purchase by following the on-screen instructions.

Your subscription will start immediately, and the price will update depending on the number of cameras and doorbells that you add to your subscription. You can check here for more details about the Roku Smart Home Subscription.

Let us know if there's anything else that we can do, and we'll be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dakopyc
Binge Watcher

Okay -- so, I guess the subscription plans CHANGED? It used to be $2.99 per month... for each camera, as far as I remember. Apparently the pricing structure was updated without any notification to customers?

Anyways, okay -- just updated my subscription to the $9.99 per month "99 cameras" plan (really, 99? :)) and we'll see if that makes everything start to work as expected -- for my 3 little cameras.

I'll let you know what happens.

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dakopyc,

Thanks for the response in the Roku Community!

If you want to speak with a live representative for your subscriptions, you can contact our Account-Billing team via chat or phone here. Please keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dakopyc
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: Okay, well... updating my subscription to the "3+" package seemed to (finally!) fix the issue with events not being uploaded to the cloud as video clips -- finally I can see the short clips from the third camera!

Gosh, why didn't someone just say this earlier? Here we've all been struggling to check firmware versions, restarting the cams, un-plugging and re-plugging, uninstalling the app, signing-in and signing out -- all this rigamarole and it was a *subscription* limitation the whole time? Gah. Frustrating.

FYI here was my "original" plan -- which, I assumed was going to be *good* for the 3 cameras, even once the promotional period ended. There was no notification about a change in the plan -- that now, apparently, requires me to use the $10 a month option.

Original subscription was $2.99 per month (3 per month promotion); renewed Dec 18, 2022
Promotion ends Feb 18, 2023, $3.99 per month afterwards.

Oh well. But just so you know... and any other "early adopter" customers who are reading this post:

IF YOU HAVE 3 CAMERAS, you need the $9.99/mo PLAN!".

There will be NO ERROR MESSAGE telling you what's wrong -- but you'll see only still images from your "additional" cams when events are recorded -- not the video clip -- until you upgrade your subscription.

^^^ SUMMARY 😕 :p]

0 Kudos
Kat502

I'm experiencing this on my wired indoor camera se. I am paying for a subscription. The firmware is up to date. I have uninstalled the app, rebooted the Wi-Fi, turned the camera off numerous times, and checked all the settings dozens of times. Not receiving any notifications or getting events recorded. I also have an outdoor camera that sends to be working fine. 

0 Kudos
housefamily4
Reel Rookie

Same here. After the trial period I subscribed. Now no notifications at all. Rebooted everything multiple times. Feel like I’ve been scammed. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Kat502 @housefamily4,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku Smart Home subscription that is not reflecting. Please go to the Roku Smart Home Subscription page or here. Under the Manage subscriptions section, unselect the camera and reselect the camera that you want to have a subscription for. Select continue and select Update subscription. A confirmation will appear that the subscription has been updated. This will ensure that the subscription has been selected, updated, and applied. If the issue persists, please try to restart or factory reset the camera.
Let us know how it goes, and we'll be glad to further assist you.
Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.