Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Event videos not playing only showing a still photo

Jump to solution

My cameras have been set up for months and they’ve worked fine. Just recently when motion is detected, it will record a video but when I play back, it doesn’t play the video. There’s just a still photo of the event. 
My detection settings are perfect, And the event recording settings are on and good to go. I’m just not sure why I can’t play back the video even though I have a subscription that I’m paying for..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: recorded events won’t load correctly to one phone

Jump to solution

Hi @masonallena,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that your Roku Cameras event recording does not play on your Roku Smart Home app. We'd be more than willing to sort this out for you.

Before we continue, we would like to know if you see a live stream on your Roku camera. In the meantime, let's see if this will work for you:

• Uninstall the Roku Smart Home app and install it again
  • Try downloading the Roku Smart Home app on a different mobile phone or tablet and logging in with the same Roku account credentials.
  • Restart the Roku Cameras: For instructions on how to restart your smart home device, visit our Roku support article.

If the issue persists, we highly suggest to set up again the camera:

You do not need to remove your smart home device from the mobile app to set it up again. Simply follow the steps below and see if that resolves your issue.

1. Open the Home screen
  2. Tap the plus sign from the navigation bar
  3. Select Add device
  4. Select your device category and then select a device
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
MiriahAppleby
Reel Rookie

recorded events won’t load correctly to one phone

Jump to solution

We have the floodlight camera, wireless doorbell camera, and an indoor wired camera. We also have the same account signed into 2 different phones. 
I’ve found that the videos from recorded events are not loading correctly to my phone and will just display the loading screen, however the playback works fine on my fiancés phone. It’s not every single video but it’s most of the time. It’s rare for me to play a video like normal. I’ve tried signing out and back in, resetting the devices, etc and nothing has worked so far. I also have the full subscription so this isn’t the issue. 
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Lysa_London
Reel Rookie

Smart Home App Won’t Playback Videos

Jump to solution

When I try to see what has been recorded through the smart home app, it wont load the video, or play's about a second and the app freezes. The live stream button doesn’t work. I can get notifications but I still can’t see the video. 

Mickey5
Reel Rookie

Re: Smart Home App Won’t Playback Videos

Jump to solution

How can you watch your videos if it’s not letting you play them

0 Kudos
Mickey5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

same thing with me my videos won’t load or the old videos, but I can watch my camera. I just can’t replay videos back

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MiriahAppleby @Mickey5 

I can understand how that would be frustrating. I’m currently sharing a Roku Smart Home account with one other individual but haven't experienced this issue. We have the exact same phone and have updated the software as prompted.

My Initial thought would be something regarding your phone might be what is causing this issue to occur.

Do you and your fiancé have different phones? It might be worth checking to make sure that there aren’t any updates that you might’ve missed some chance?

Any other information you could provide would be helpful if possible.

best of luck and keep everyone posted!

0 Kudos
Lysa_London
Reel Rookie

Re: Smart Home App Won’t Playback Videos

Jump to solution

I can’t watch the videos, it will start it for about a second or two and stop and just buffer. That’s my problem, I need fixed. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, same problem. 

0 Kudos
MiriahAppleby
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have an iPhone 14 and she has an iPhone 11. Both are fully up to date 

0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MiriahAppleby @Mickey5 

In that case, you could go into both of your apps and look each phones settings. Look at the detection settings and make sure that they are both set up in the same manner.

You could also check to see if this works. Have your fiancé or other individual sign out of the Roku Smart Home App and then you sign in only. Once you’re the only one signed in see if you’re able to view the event recordings

Let me know if either of those work

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. 

Rest assured that our team is diligently investigating to determine the root cause of the ongoing issue. To facilitate the review of your affected Smart Home devices, we kindly request the Model and MAC addresses of the devices.

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.