Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jldecker

Has anyone ever had 4 red dots , 2 on each side of the camera lends suddenly appear?

4 red dots have suddenly appeared on my indoor camera and they stay on all the time even when the camera is turned off . Has this happened to anyone else ? What does it mean ?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
jschonauer
Binge Watcher

Re: Has anyone ever had 4 red dots , 2 on each side of the camera lends suddenly appear?

Hi Can you confirm what firmware version your camera is running? If it is running version Firmware 6.0.0 build32-gf please reply "YES"

0 Kudos
Jolinar
Binge Watcher

Re: Has anyone ever had 4 red dots , 2 on each side of the camera lends suddenly appear?

OMG yes! This just starring happening to mine tonight as I'm trying to go to bed and it's creepy since I have the cameras to keep an eye on my cat and see what she's getting up to while I'm at work. So one is viewing my bed, since she loves to lay on it.

Device info says the firmware version is 6.0.0 build 32-FD

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think you're speaking of the IR LEDs used for night vision.  You can set them to On, Off, or Auto in the Advanced Settings for the camera in the Smart Home app.  I would think that if the camera is off the LEDs would be off, but who knows?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jolinar
Binge Watcher

Yes, I was thinking that's what it was. Mine are always set to auto. But again it just started doing this last night where they're on while the cameras are OFF. And when I got up today and turned on my bedroom light yep hear the little click and saw it turned off. But that shouldn't be turning on/off while the camera itself off, and never did before. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I've yet to see any good comments about firmware version is 6.0.0 build 32-FD, so maybe this is just one more flaw.  @RokuJohnB , any ideas?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for keeping us posted!

We want to investigate this issue you had with the Roku cameras further. Can you please provide the following information?

• Could you provide us with a screenshot or photo?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jolinar
Binge Watcher

Well it's firmware version is 6.0.0 build 32-FD. And the IR LEDs used for night vision have decided now that they're going to turn on/off depending on light levels WHILE THE CAMERAS ARE OFF. which is annoying and they never did this preciously.

1000002954.jpg

0 Kudos

• Mine does this too. I think it’s due to the recent software update. At least, that’s when I started noticing it. I’ve been restarting my camera when I notice them and it helps. It definitely hasn’t solved the problem, so I hope it gets resolved soon.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jolinar @SortingMachine,

From the Roku Community, welcome and thanks for raising this concern directly with us!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. The IR lights on your smart home cameras detect radiated heat, allowing you to see things invisible to the human eye. The IR lights can be turned on only when night vision is engaged to better capture events in the darkest conditions. You can turn the IR lights on and off for all cameras, while the Roku Indoor Camera SERoku Outdoor Wired Camera SE, and the Roku Floodlight Camera SE add the ability to choose between two modes when the IR lights.

To turn off the IR lights in your camera, make sure night vision is set off as well, and complete the appropriate steps for each camera or doorbell.

Night vision

1. Open the Home screen.
  2. Select your camera or doorbell.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Advanced Settings.
  5. Select Off.

How to turn off IR lights

1. Repeat steps 1 through 4 from the previous section to access Advanced settings
  2. Turn on Off. (For cameras with IR light modes, tap Night vision IR lights)
  • Tip: If your smart home camera faces glass, it is recommended that IR lights are left off when using night vision.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Kind regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.