Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JW-IN-OK

Detection Zone setup help

When setting up a detection zone for outdoor cameras, is the area that is blacked out the zone? Or is it the area not blocked out? I’ve tried it both ways and it hasn’t seemed to change the motion notifications. What I’m trying to do is keep a tree that waves in the wind from triggering a notification. And I don’t want to lower the sensitivity or it doesn’t detect motion on my driveway. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Detection Zone setup help

Hi @JW-IN-OK,

Thanks for this inquiry.

Your camera or video doorbell might be positioned to have a wide view, but you only want to detect motion in a specific area. The detection zone feature allows you to define a specific area where your device will detect movement. Please be aware that everything outside the zone is ignored and will not trigger an event recording.

You can define the motion detection zone in the smart home app.

1. Tap Home from the navigation bar.
  2. Select your camera or doorbell.
  3. Tap Settings in the corner.
  4. Tap detection settings
  5. Tap detection zone
  6. Toggle the detection zone on
  7. Tap and drag to select the motion detection zone.
  8. You can tap Undo to revert recent changes or tap Clear to remove all selected grids.

Let us know if you need further clarification or have other inquiries.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

FAIL!!!

you literally just completely ignored the question which is one that I also have.  Stop copying and pasting CANNED MESSAGES!!!

use your critical thinking skills, and actually read our questions and provide a real life solution. Fuqn **bleep**.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GettinClose2Lgl,

Thank you for your post.

We apologize for the confusion. Would you mind specifying the inquiry you have with the detection zone setup? A photo would also help us visualize this concern.

With a few more details, we'll be able to provide an accurate resolution.

We'll appreciate your response regarding this matter.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JASJr
Channel Surfer

I’m having the same issue. I also set smart Detection Events to Person only and am still getting motion recordings (although no notifications on motion hits.

I’m going to play with the Detection Sensitivity to see what happens.

A comprehensive user’s manual would help.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JASJr,

Thanks for your post.

This support article on detection setup and how to use smart detection features shall help. You can freely browse this for guidance.

If you have inquiries, please let us know.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

You guys still haven't answered this simple question and there seems to be a lot of confusion on it. You don't really need uploaded pictures or examples. 

How does the user know what defines the "detection zone" vs "the ignored zone"? Is the "detection zone" the shaded area or the non shaded area? 

Simple question. Simple answer. Please. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Reddiamond22usm,

Greetings from the Roku community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. Please be advised that the area that you see in the middle (usually shaded) is the detection zone.

If you have any more inquiries, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos