Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetoba

Camera wont scan QR code ? WHY ?

Jump to solution

Tryign tod o initial set up and my camera will not scan the QR code ? Why ? Help please ...

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Camera wont scan QR code ? WHY ?

Jump to solution

Hi @planetoba,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for reaching out about this issue going on.

We would recommend taking a closer look at some troubleshooting that you can try here: Why does the QR code scan fail when adding my Roku Smart Home camera or doorbell?

If there is still no luck, please get back here and let us know how things turn out.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rrocha_932,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I get that your Roku Camera won't scan the QR code generated from the Roku Smart Home app. No worries, I will be more than happy to assist you with this issue.

Before we proceed, we would like to know if this is your first time setting up this Roku Camera and the specific type of Roku Camera you are having an issue with.

Kindly follow the details below.

1. Check the Wi-Fi connection:

• Most Roku Smart Home devices cannot connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. If you have a dual-band router, make sure to connect your phone or tablet to your 2.4GHz wireless network from the settings for this device before launching the smart home app. If you need assistance, learn how to identify and connect to your 2.4GHz network.

2. Check your devices:

• Inspect the screen for greasy fingerprints or dirt and wipe it clean.
  • If a screen protector is installed and damaged, temporarily remove it and try the scan again.
  • Check the screen for cracked glass and try adjusting the angle of the scan. If the damage is severe enough, you may need to scan the code with a different mobile device.
  • Make sure the entire QR code is visible and not obstructed by something obvious like your fingertip or fingernail.
  • If you use an Apple device, turn off "smart invert" or "classic invert." This setting changes the way colors are displayed and may cause the scan to fail.

3. Adjust the Scan:
Once your devices are clean and in good order, try adjusting how you scan the QR code using the following suggestions.

• If the screen on your mobile device is larger than 5.5 inches, you may need to hold your camera or doorbell more than 5 inches from the QR code.
  • Pull your camera or doorbell about 12 inches from the QR code, slowly move it closer, and hold it for 5 seconds at various distances until the scan is successful.
  • Hold the QR code upside down and then refocus your camera or doorbell by slowly adjusting the distance.
  • To account for glare, slightly adjust the angle of your camera or doorbell. If that does not help, try scanning the QR code somewhere with different lighting especially if you are outdoors or near direct sunlight.

If none of the suggestions resolve the issue, try factory resetting your camera or doorbell and attempting the setup process again.

Please let us know if these troubleshooting steps help you to resolve your issue.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @planetoba,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for reaching out about this issue going on.

We would recommend taking a closer look at some troubleshooting that you can try here: Why does the QR code scan fail when adding my Roku Smart Home camera or doorbell?

If there is still no luck, please get back here and let us know how things turn out.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrocha_932

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the app , I hear the "ready to conect" message but after aelecting the wi-fi network and entering the password, te cameras simply won't scan the QR code

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rrocha_932,

I get that your Roku Camera won't scan the QR code generated from the Roku Smart Home app. No worries, I will be more than happy to assist you with this issue.

Before we proceed, we would like to know if this is your first time setting up this Roku Camera and the specific type of Roku Camera you are having an issue with.

Kindly follow the details below.

1. Check the Wi-Fi connection:

• Most Roku Smart Home devices cannot connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. If you have a dual-band router, make sure to connect your phone or tablet to your 2.4GHz wireless network from the settings for this device before launching the smart home app. If you need assistance, learn how to identify and connect to your 2.4GHz network.

2. Check your devices:

• Inspect the screen for greasy fingerprints or dirt and wipe it clean.
  • If a screen protector is installed and damaged, temporarily remove it and try the scan again.
  • Check the screen for cracked glass and try adjusting the angle of the scan. If the damage is severe enough, you may need to scan the code with a different mobile device.
  • Make sure the entire QR code is visible and not obstructed by something obvious like your fingertip or fingernail.
  • If you use an Apple device, turn off "smart invert" or "classic invert." This setting changes the way colors are displayed and may cause the scan to fail.

3. Adjust the Scan:
Once your devices are clean and in good order, try adjusting how you scan the QR code using the following suggestions.

• If the screen on your mobile device is larger than 5.5 inches, you may need to hold your camera or doorbell more than 5 inches from the QR code.
  • Pull your camera or doorbell about 12 inches from the QR code, slowly move it closer, and hold it for 5 seconds at various distances until the scan is successful.
  • Hold the QR code upside down and then refocus your camera or doorbell by slowly adjusting the distance.
  • To account for glare, slightly adjust the angle of your camera or doorbell. If that does not help, try scanning the QR code somewhere with different lighting especially if you are outdoors or near direct sunlight.

If none of the suggestions resolve the issue, try factory resetting your camera or doorbell and attempting the setup process again.

Please let us know if these troubleshooting steps help you to resolve your issue.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rrocha_932, do you happen to own a Samsung Z Flip phone?  If you look at the QR code displayed on the phone, do the left and right edges appear to be chopped off?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Tried all these steps multiple times, still can't scan code.

0 Kudos
willywonka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No he logrado conseguir que la cámara reconozca el código QR. Les explico el paso a paso.

Al inicia la app y configurar por primera vez la cámara (recién sacada de la caja), la cámara leyó sin problema el código QR, le configuré un nombre y me salió para poder verla. Al abrirla pude ver su transmisión, me puse a configurar la segunda cámara que tengo, y me doy cuenta que la primera cámara se me había borrado de la app. 
Configuré la segunda cámara sin problema, cuando voy a configurar la primera cámara de nuevo, ya esta no lee el código QR, aunque indica en el audio que está lista para conectarse.

Cerré sesión en la app y cuando quise ingresar ya me decía que mis credenciales eran incorrectas, a pesar de poder ingresar en la web con las mismas. Me cree otra cuenta, reinicie la segunda cámara que había registrado y se registró sin problema (ahora esta iba a ser la primera en configurar en la nueva cuenta) cuando me propuse a configurar otra cámara, la anterior otra vez se me había borrado, cuando la fui a volver a configurar, ya no lee el código QR, le pasó lo mismo que la primera cámara anterior.

Cual es el problema, hago hincapié que yo estoy en Ecuador configurando esta cámara

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @CHUCKSHELDON142,

Thanks for letting us know that you are still having trouble with scanning the QR code on your Roku Smart Home app. We appreciate you for taking the troubleshooting steps provided.

Could you please tell us the details below for us to look closely into the issue?

• Is this your first time setting up this Roku Camera?
  • Does it only happen to one Roku Camera or multiple Roku Smart devices? If so, what is/are the model of your camera/s?
  • What is the error code or error message you are getting?
  • When did you start to experience the issue?
  • What is the firmware version of your Roku camera?

We look forward to your response.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
willywonka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is the first time I'm setting up my Roku device. I took a camera and set it up with the app, and at first, it registered successfully. However, when I tried to register a second camera, I realized that the first one had been deleted. I continued registering two more cameras, but when I tried to register the first one again, it wouldn't read the QR code. I restarted the camera by pressing the setup button for 10 seconds, and after 30 seconds, it started and said 'Ready to connect.' However, when I tried to scan the QR code, the camera didn't do anything.

I tried to log in to the app on another phone, but it said that the account didn't exist. I thought that maybe the problem was that I was still logged in on my original phone, so I logged out. However, now I can't log in with those credentials. If I access the website, I can log in without any issues.

I want to know what the problem is with the app. We decided to create a new account on another phone, and it started to work. I took one of the already configured cameras, restarted it, and set it up again. It registered successfully at first, but then it was deleted again. I took the second configured camera, and it registered successfully. However, when I tried to register the first camera again, it did the same thing as before.

Note that I didn't download the app from the Play Store because it's blocked in my country, Ecuador. Instead, I downloaded it from an external link.

The model is Roku Indoor Camera SE

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.