Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeeGeex57
Channel Surfer

NewsMax+ unable to access the subscription paid through Roku

Jump to solution

Through no fault of Roku, NewsMax Plus, has made a tremendous mess of things. I see that Roku has been inundated with the problems this has created.

But going thru all those posts to try and find a resolution to the issue, is not getting me anywhere. Roku DOES give the phone number to contact NewsMax Plus directly.  Unfortunately, it disconnects every 12-15 minutes and you have to keep calling back, which I am pretty sure, puts you at the end of the line again.

I tried calling Corporate at NewsMax, to no avail, but then again it's Saturday. 

But here is my issue as it pertains to Roku.  Roku keeps saying it is not them that creates the app, and fixes all the problems, it's NewsMax, I get that.  But I logged into ROKU, went to the NewsMax app, logged in and it said it was subscription now, which is what I wanted.  So, thru ROKU I paid the fee. 

Now first of all there was suppose to be a 15 day Free Trial.  I got NO Free Trial.  They billed me right off the bat.  Then I can't get it on ANY of my ROKU TV's...  While I understand, the app comes from NewsMax, why is Roku taking money for NewsMax, and not honoring the 15 day Free Trial.... And not have it available on Roku, those issues ARE Roku's responsibility.  Until there is a Roku App, they should not be taking subscription fees, imho. Roku is billing for something they are apparently not streaming.

Like a lot of people now, on a budget, I need my bills due on certain days, when I know I will have money, or a payday.  The 15 day trial would have made my billing date, coincide with my Pay date.   Now it will be all messed up. And I STILL cannot watch NewsMax Plus. Please don't say go watch it on my phone, I am visually impaired and I have a really huge TV, for that reason. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: NewsMax unable to access the subscription paid through Roku

Jump to solution

Hi @543,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

In this matter, it would be best to talk to our Account-Billing team, as they are the ones who can further assist with your concerns.

You can contact them here. Choose "Account, payment & subscription," and there should be an option for you to talk to one of our live representatives.

Please keep us posted if you have any other concerns.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
JustSayin
Streaming Star

NewsMax unable to access the subscription paid through Roku

Jump to solution

You are absolutely right. Roku accepted payment, so there is every reason why Roku should be responsible for refunds if you do not get exactly what you were promised: a free trial and a working channel. It is both unethical and illegal to accept payment and then shirk all responsibility when a customer does not receive what they paid for.

Possibly they have legal loopholes in their paid channel contracts, but even if they do, that doesn't let them out of their ethical responsibility to either ensure the product is delivered as promised or issue refunds and then go after the problem company themselves for reimbursement, if the other company doesn't step up automatically.

While I would never subscribe to any channel through Roku (due to their complete lack of true, direct customer support for almost every aspect), I see why other people would want to try it and consolidate their subscriptions.

If this continues, I hope all customers who paid for channels through Roku will take legal measures to get reimbursed by Roku. Good luck.

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @GeeGeex57 @JustSayin,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about what happened, and we understand that you are having problems with your subscription.

To be better assisted with your subscription inquiries, kindly contact our Accounts and Billing team since they are the specialized department to best cater to your inquiry. To contact them, please refer to this link here. Select the Accounts and Billing option to be directed to their contact information.

Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GeeGeex57
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That did absolutely nothing.  I told her right off the bat that Roku charged me for a subscription to NewsMax plus, and she tries to get rid of me by saying that Wll you know, Roku is no longer free, you have to pay for it....  Ummm I know, I did pay for it, and Roku billed me.... come on!

Then after doing a few things and she can't fix it, she implies that Roku is just a billing service, and I need to call NewsMax... First of all I spent nearly 4  1/2 hours calling, waiting and talking to NewsMax.  Their service is up and running, they told me after all that time to contact Roku, since they billed me and should be supplying me with the stream I paid for... Now she just tells me to call them.  Not gonna go back and forth with one blaming the other.  I paid for the service thru Roku, they took the money, and should provide the channel service.  If they don't have the means, capability, or the app or what ever, they should not be taking people's money.  

Now again... How do I get this resolved???

Here is the chat by the way.  Any and all identifying info has been removed:

Chat Transcript with ME
Chat started on 04 Nov 2023, 10:16 PM (GMT+0)
(10:16:57) *** ME joined the chat ***
(10:16:57) ME
I just paid Roku for a subscription, that cannot be watched on roku... how do I fix this?
(10:17:02) Roku Customer Service
An agent will be with you shortly. To avoid being disconnected, please do not minimize or close this window, and make sure your device has a strong network connection.
(10:17:03) Roku Customer Service
We are currently experiencing longer than usual wait times. If you are contacting us about the removal of the Newsmax channel, please contact Newsmax customer support at 800-485-4350.
(10:17:13) *** A joined the chat ***
(10:17:18) A
Thank you for contacting Roku! My name is A from the Accounts and Billing Team.
(10:17:25) ME
HI A
(10:17:40) A
I understand that you have a concern with your subscription. I can imagine how confusing that would be, and I appreciate your time and effort in bringing this to our attention. I'm happy to help!
(10:17:51) ME
TY
(10:18:02) ME
I am sure a lot have been having this issue as well
(10:18:06) A
To start with, may I have the email address associated with your Roku account?
(10:18:15) ME
*************@gmail.com
(10:18:37) A
As a heads up, I'll need to ask a few questions to verify your account. Would you please provide the following pieces of information?

- Billing Zip Code
- Last four digits of the payment method on file
(10:19:07) ME
XXXXX is the zip code
(10:19:20) ME
XXXX is last 4
(10:19:40) A
May I have the full name associated with the Roku account?
(10:19:47) ME
ME
(10:20:12) A
Perfect! Thank you for helping me verify your account.
(10:20:16) ME
np
(10:20:35) A
Could you tell me which subscription you have a cocnern with?
(10:20:45) ME
Newsmax Plus
(10:21:01) A
Thank you.
(10:21:26) ME
I have 2 issues, it is suppose to come with a 15 day Free Trial, and it didn't. and I cannot access it on my Roku Tv
(10:21:30) A
Could you give me a few minutes to check this information?
(10:21:35) ME
sure I can
(10:22:33) A
Thank you for waiting.
(10:22:36) ME
np
(10:23:51) A
Upon checking, due to cable agreements Newsmax is no longer streaming for free on the Roku Channel. I know how frustrating this can be, however The Roku Channel offers free live news channels 24/7 that you can watch. We highly suggest reaching out to Newsmax for further clarification. You can reach them at (800) 485-4350.
(10:24:06) ME
no that is not the issue
(10:24:21) ME
I know Newsmax went to a pay subscription
(10:24:29) ME
THAT is what I just paid ROKU for
(10:24:43) ME
YOu billed be for the pay service
(10:24:53) A
I understand. Could you give me a few minutes to check this information?
(10:25:01) ME
k
(10:26:12) A
Could we try doing a system restart to check if you can access this subscription?
(10:26:19) ME

*** In this spot I inserted a picture of my bill where Roku billed me successfully and it says I have the service until December, 4th 2023....

(10:26:32) ME
how do i do that?
(10:26:47) ME
just unplug?
(10:27:20) A
System restart your device

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
2. Scroll and select Settings
3. Select System
4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
5. Select System restart
(10:28:04) ME
ok restarting now
(10:28:19) A
Thank you.
(10:29:17) A
Could you try to access agin, please?
(10:30:12) ME
ok I tried to go there, it says currently playing The Count, which is a show... when I press play It says More Info.... You have been signed out
(10:30:33) ME
when i press more info it wants me to pay $49.99
(10:30:49) ME
because I already paid the monthly $4,99 that option is not on there
(10:31:03) ME
I showed you my page from Roku where I paid for this already
(10:31:38) A
By any chance, do you remember the sign in credentials you used for the said channel?
(10:31:44) ME
yes
(10:32:32) ME
ok trying to sign in again
(10:32:45) A
Could you try to sign in again, please?
(10:35:25) ME
(10:35:36) ME
I just signed back in and it shows this:

*******  In this area I put in a picture that showed my TV screen after I signed out, signed back in and completely restarted my ROKU... It showed it wanted me to pay $49.99 for a year Subscription.  Before it had the $4.99 option but since I already used that method, it was not on there any longer,

(10:35:57) A
I understand. Could you give me a few minutes to check this?
(10:36:02) ME
ok
(10:37:08) ME
I tried to delete the app and redownload it, but it won't let me delete it now, because I have a current subscription.
(10:38:00) A
I completely understand your concern, and I regret any inconvenience this has caused you; however, we have performed a basic troubleshooting procedure, and the problem remains the same. We can only propose that you contact Newsmax directly about this issue since we have no control over the channel because the majority of the channels on Roku are managed by the channel providers. You can reach them at (800) 485-4350. Also, whatever the outcome with the channel provider, please feel free to reach out back to us so we can assist you with your subscription.
(10:38:34) ME
I already contacted them
(10:38:42) ME
this is why they told me to contact you
(10:38:47) ME
you billed me
(10:38:59) ME
their end is working they say, your end is not
(10:39:16) ME
i cant call back they tell me to call you, you tell me to call them...
(10:39:34) ME
it took me 4 hours 18 minutes on hold to get thru to them
(10:40:04) ME
How is Roku billing for something they cannot produce?
(10:41:10) A
I understand. Please be advise that Roku is a streaming platform only and a third-party biller. Also, please be advise that we have no control over the channel because the majority of the channels on Roku are managed by the channel providers.
(10:41:52) ME
How are you billing for something then, that you are telling me now you do not have?
(10:42:14) ME
Just billing blindly?
(10:42:27) A
Let me check this concern for you.
(10:42:48) ME
Can I be forwarded to a supervisor?
(10:43:27) A
I understand.
(10:43:29) A
Thanks for letting me know you’d like to discuss this over a phone call with my supervisor. Would you mind sharing your preferred phone number and the best timeframe to contact you?
(10:43:55) ME
555-555-5555 and I would like to be contacted now
(10:44:41) ME
So, according to what you just said, roku does not offer any services, they are just a billing company...
(10:44:54) A
I completely understand. Since I'm unable to connect with you right now and want to be thoughtful of your time, having my supervisor call you back would be the best route forward.
(10:45:06) A
Is there anything else I can help you with today?
(10:45:23) A
You can expect a call back from a supervisor in 24 hours based on the time frames provided.
(10:45:34) *** ME left the chat ***

0 Kudos
izziede
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s not Newsmax.  Roku told me they would not offer Newsmax and that I would need to contact Newsmax. Newsmax responded immediately and said it was available on Roku

after 3 days I did get it only on one TV. We have 5!   I have repeatedly asked ROKU for support.  When I try to  access on other TVs, I am told I need a subscription.  All TVs are on one ROKU account  

it’s insane!  But not the fault of Newsmax

GeeGeex57
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Exactly.  How did you get it on 1 TV, I would be happy with that for now.  any help would be appreciated.

It was roku that offered me the subscription, it was Roku that billed me and took my money, and it was roku that has not provided the streaming channel I paid for.

Roku gave a link above to contact support.  I DID contact support, and told them about it in this thread.... they deleted what I said.  I did not provide any name, any phone number, any contact information, any account information.  I copied what they told me and posted it here.  When it had the person's name, I just used the letter "A"  for answer.... My name was "ME"... so there was nothing personal. 

Why they deleted my response, when they gave me no help at all, is unbelievable.  I feel sorry for others who paid, or who actually paid for a year for $50 and got nothing....

Iona-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I am now considering pulling back on all these pay-out-of-my-own-pocket subscriptions via some third party corps. or another. I will limit to only one proven one I used for several years now and leave the rest ad supported only (meaning someone else pays these services through their own account-not mine).  There is plenty of content in a wide variety from these freebies to satisfy most tastes and moods.  

Why bother with paywalls and poor or even non existent "customer service."

0 Kudos
lavendrlyn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I completely agree with your assessment and said as much to my online assistant when asked why I paid Roku for something I am not receiving.  This I believe is not legal in any state, and there should not be a paywall for streaming services not rendered, nor the promised 15 day free trial which I too, did not receive and also mentioned.  At no time was the app updated to reflect any change by NewsMax or an updated LogIn fix, and I believe that this glitch too is a Roku tech issue.  I think Accounts and Billing should be supporting the customer base during this rocky rollout period.

0 Kudos
izziede
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update. I talked to a ROKU tech yesterday, by phone.  She confirmed the payment and said, again, nothing we can do at ROKU. You must contact Newsmax. 
Newsmax has no record of receiving payment….paid through the ROKU account. 
no way to actually delete the Newsmax app and start over.   For the Home page of Roku… the * for settings is gone!!   
I finally went online using a browser and purchased direct from NEWSMAX this a.m.  

It works, for now.  So I will use it for a few days and then cancel the ROKU charge.   What a mess

0 Kudos
bear1224
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

About ready to file credit card dispute 

Need Assistance?
Manage your subscriptions by logging into your Roku Account.