Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Wireless Error 014.40 Again Verizon

Jump to solution

I have two Roku Streaming Stick+ for two different tv's, and it's the same problem on both: both are not connecting to my Verizon 5G Home Internet.

One was purchased in 2019, the other was purchased in 2021. Since July 3 2023, I have had occasional outages with the Cube itself, but it is rare. HOWEVER, the issue for the past month has been strictly with the Roku devices. Everyday it's the same thing: cannot connect to network, retry, cannot connect to network, restart, cannot connect to network, let it sit, see a connection, try to watch a streaming app (i.e. Discovery, Peacock, NewsOn), get a "no network" message. Go to home> settings> network> set up connection> wireless. Click "ok", click my provider, click password.. checking. One of two things happens either the device connects OR up comes Error Code 014.40.

Error Code 014 is a password error. I haven't changed my password since I changed the ISP in February 2023. During all of this aggravation, I have retyped my password twice. I don't see the point of retyping my password when 1) it hasn't changed, and 2) only the Roku devices are having this problem.
On the off-chance the Roku connects, it's for (maybe) 2-4 minutes at best. I can't watch movies or t.v. shows on any other device, as the 107 of the 112 apps on my Roku account are strictly to Roku devices. I then retry every step to reconnect and when that fails, I unplug the Roku Stick+ from the tv (both USB and HDMI). Wait between 45 and 60 seconds, before reconnecting (HDMI first, USB second). I wait for it to finish booting up and then it's back to the same problem.

I did contact Roku Support in September 2023 about this and sorry to say, that was useless. The person concentrated the connectivity issue to my internet, ignoring the fact that all other
 wireless devices in my home were connected to the Verizon 5G Home Internet cube without issue. Currently, all of my other wireless devices are connected to the Verizon 5G Home Internet cube without issue.

Today, as I was writing this, I reset the Roku Stick+. I was able to pair the remote, choose a language, type in my ISP credentials, and got Error Code 014.30. Restarted, chose my language, chose my ISP, typed in my password and got Error Code 014.40. Appeared to be connected to the internet, and allowed me to pair the Roku remote with the tv. I put in the info to "Activate your Roku player" clicked ok and then... SPOILER Not connected to the Internet: Error Code 016 AND none of my pre-existing apps loaded (even in the brief moments it was connected to the internet)

I don't know about any of you, but the above sounds to me like it's a device issue and that it's strictly with the Roku Streaming Stick+.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Re: Wireless Error 014.40 Again Verizon

Jump to solution

I do have a temporary solution the problem I posted. In the box the Roku Streaming Stick+ came in, there is a USB cable. I never used it before so, it's still new. I unplugged the WiFi extender from the USB port, plugged the WiFi extender into the new cable, then plugged the new cable into the USB port. I did this because I had no idea what I could do in lieu of replacing the Stick+.

All in the boxAll in the box

I don't know how long it will last or what made it work, but I'll take it until I can replace the Roku Streaming Stick+ for both TVs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

UPDATE: The shot-in-the-dark solution I came up with only lasted until October 12, 2023: about five days. After I moved residence, I disconnected the USB Power Cable from one Roku Stick+ and connected it to the other (newer model) Roku Stick+. It is currently working, but I know it is just a matter of time before the disconnect occurs again.
It is my belief that the only solution to this particular problem is to replace the WiFi extender from Roku for $20.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@SCRAPS 

What is the model number of the router being used for the Verizon 5G Home Internet?  Some of Verizon routers (like the G3100) is set to use DFS channels (52-140) by default on the 5hz band.  Try going into your Channel Settings for the router and Unchecking the box that says "Enable DFS During Channel Scan" if you see such a setting.  Then restart both the router followed by a Network Connection Reset of the Roku device.  Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.

Because the Roku devices cannot currently see/use DFS, anytime a router using DFS channels switches to a DFS/incompatible channel, the Roku device will drop its connection.  Roku can be stubborn at times re-establishing a dropped connection.

----

The different Error 14 codes typically indicate a Network Issue. Basically means the device is having an issue establishing a connection to the Network. (could be password/authentication, could be a router setting, could be a cache issue, could be a Roku device issue).

Feel free to post back with the router model number and any settings you can gleam if the above was not applicable to you or you still need help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I do have a temporary solution the problem I posted. In the box the Roku Streaming Stick+ came in, there is a USB cable. I never used it before so, it's still new. I unplugged the WiFi extender from the USB port, plugged the WiFi extender into the new cable, then plugged the new cable into the USB port. I did this because I had no idea what I could do in lieu of replacing the Stick+.

All in the boxAll in the box

I don't know how long it will last or what made it work, but I'll take it until I can replace the Roku Streaming Stick+ for both TVs

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi @AvsGunnar 

Thankfully, I saved the box the Cube came in. Unfortunately, there is nothing that states what the model number is. The inserts that came with the box are for setup only.
Previously, I did try to access the Cube settings via the URL (underside of the Cube), for a different reason, but it literally went nowhere but a blank page.
The Verizon 5G Home Internet cube gets the internet connection from the Verizon tower, so it's not a router (it's a gateway). You set it up near a window (preferably the same side as the closest Verizon tower), plug it in and wait until the light is steady white. Then begin connecting your devices.

As for Error Code 14... You and I know that it's a network error, not a password error. Maybe you should be working for Roku Support (just a thought)

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@SCRAPS 

The Verizon 5G Gateways are basically routers (or a larger hotspot device depending on how you view it).  They contain a DCHP server in order to manage connected devices (assigning LAN IP addresses).  Only real difference is how they connect to the internet. (5G cellular vs. some sort of a physical "cable" connection at the router itself).

Some issues Roku users run into with these devices due to their preference for IPv6 (an internet protocol) and DFS. (channels 52-140).  When a router (or a gateway, hotspot, extender, etc) uses these features, going to have problems getting the Roku to connect.  Currently, need to use IPv4 (or IPv4/IPv6) and a non-DFS channel (36-48 or 149-161) in order for the Roku devices to connect to the network.

Recently, have also started to run into a few password related issues with some user devices and their networks.  Not sure if due to ISP firmware updates or due to Roku updates, but some passwords that were currently working are no longer working. (especially if you use special characters in them).  I would eliminate that a possibility first.  try changing the password on the 2.4hz and 5ghz bands to something simple (a word or phrase), or just leave field empty if allowed (create open network) just to troubleshoot and eliminate as a possibility.

If the password change makes no difference, then look into the IPv6 and the use of DFS as the next likely culprits.

----

Here is a link to one of the Verizon's 5G Gateway models admin portals that describes how to login to make changes. (Here you will also be able to determine your gateway device model number as well once loged in.)  https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-234498/

---

Edited to add... I missed your screenshot of the longer USB cable.  Roku used to include these with USB power adapters (5volt, 1amp) so you could use wall power in case the TV USB port did not provide power(older TVs) or not enough power if it was a power port.  An underpowered Roku device can create issues ranging from restarts, crashes, to poor network performance since power is needed for the wifi module.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@SCRAPS wrote:

In the box the Roku Streaming Stick+ came in, there is a USB cable. I never used it before so, it's still new.

Are you saying that originally you were not using the USB cable that came with the Streaming Stick+?   That lump in the USB cable is where the SS's WiFi receiver is located.  If you were previously using a normal USB cable without that lump then your Roku was incapable of making a WiFi connection.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@makaiguy 

Good catch.  I figured it was the longer one.  Guess I should have asked whether the Stick "ever" connected to the network.  👍

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No, I referred to the longer USB power cable that came in the box. This is what came in the box

• Roku Streaming Stick+,
  • USB power cable,
  • WiFi extender,
  • charger.

If you look at the photo I inserted into an earlier reply in this thread, you will see that not only is the WiFi extender connected, but it is now plugged into the USB power cable. This is how I am now able to be connected to the Verizon 5G Home Internet.
The problem could be within the WiFi extender, but I have doubts that the same problem exists on two different Roku Stick+ devices from two different years. Then again, there are known hardware issues with Roku remotes (for different Roku devices) that a lot of people experienced in 2022. So, it's possible.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@SCRAPS 

Plugging into a longer USB cable should not have made a difference.  If you had switched to wall power and it began to work, I would have said that maybe the TV USB power port was underpowered, affecting the wifi module in the long range wireless receiver (the bumpy part).

If you did nothing else but unplug and just add a longer cable, either the receiver may be going, or it reset the connection by being unplugged for a bit while you added the cable.

Strange, but good to see you are back up and running.  👍

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

You are correct- it should not have made a difference. But it did, as the Stick+ has continued to keep connected to the wireless connection for over 24 hours.

What I did was nothing more than a shot in the dark - and I'm sure you're just as surprised as I am that it was successful.

It does leave an open question: Is the Wifi module dying OR is the Stick+ near it's "end of life" 

0 Kudos