Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lwcorry
Reel Rookie

Wi-fi & connectivity - device not found

My roku remote won’t work and tried to use the app but I’m told the device is not found on the network. How can i check network settings and connectivity if neither of these communicate w the device?  I restarted modem to no avail. I contacted internet carrier and they ran tests and said everything was good. Phones, iPad and computer all connect to wifi. I also removed Roku from tv and unplugged it from outlet. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wi-fi & connectivity - device not found

What's the model number of the Roku device written on it somewhere and is it a voice remote with a microphone button and TV controls or a simple remote without either of those.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lwcorry
Reel Rookie

It’s a 4K streaming stick model 3820x. It’s a voice remote. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lwcorry,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We would like to gather more information on how we can assist you. Have you previously connected your Roku mobile app as a remote to your Roku streaming device? In addition, what are the problems that you've encountered with your Roku remote?

The information you provide will help us better understand the issue.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lwcorry
Reel Rookie

Yes, I have previously used my phone as a roku remote. 
My tv lost connectivity intermittently night before last. The tv was on all night, and when I got up, the roku remote wouldn’t work. I thought the batteries had died despite my recently changing them. I changed them again and the remote still wouldn’t work. I must add that it does turn the tv on and off…the roku features just don’t work. I then tried to use the roku app on my phone as the remote to no avail. I looked at Devices on the app and the tv in my bedroom was not found. I also have a roku streaming stick in the kitchen, and it is listed under Devices. I contacted my internet carrier via chat and they ran several tests and indicated that they found no errors. I disconnected my modem/router hoping that it would reconnect, but it didn’t help. 

I have used this streaming stick without incident for the past probably two years. 

it did return to normal earlier today, and I was able to use the roku remote but then it had connectivity issues again that I didn’t have time to investigate/resolve. 

Perhaps I just need a new streaming stick or a new smart tv 🤷‍♀️

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Your Streaming Stick remote is really two remotes in one.

The TV commands (power toggle, volume, mute) are sent to the TV by direct line of sight infrared signals.  When first setting up you needed to set the remote to send the correct infrared command set for your TV.   This part is working.

Infrared signals can't reach the back of the TV where Streaming Sticks were designed to be used.  So Rokus receive the remote's commands by WiFi radio signals that penetrate through to the Streaming Stick's location.  The WiFi portion of the remote must be paired to the individual Roku unit it is meant to control.  It sounds like yours lost its WiFi pairing to the Roku and needed to be re-paired.

I'm glad to hear it's working again, but in the future if you need to force a re-pair:

Roku remote troubleshooting page:
https://support.roku.com/article/208755708#section-3

• Since you have a Voice Remote with replaceable batteries, scroll down to the "Troubleshoot your voice remote with standard batteries" section.
  • Follow the "Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device" steps.
  • To make it easier to do everything in the allotted time, I'd suggest removing the remote batteries before starting the process.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Thomburchfield
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem but I don’t have a voice remote. My internet connection is fine and I can surf everywhere but my IOS Roku app cannot find my device. Further, the Home Screen on the TV say “Not connected” which indicates a problem between the device and my home network, which is  fine. As I can’t access the screen I have no way of checking the connections or find my Roku IP address.

I have disconnected the device and rebooted it repeatedly with no results. 

and finally, why can’t I communicate with an agent?

0 Kudos
renojim

@Thomburchfield, if your Roku device isn't connected to your network you'll never be able to use the app on your phone.  You'll need a physical remote to get it connected.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tz8
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue. 

0 Kudos
Starlightz74
Reel Rookie

This is exactly my problem! I have a Roku stream bar and I’ve been using my phone with the Roku app for the remote. So it’s like chasing my tail. None of the suggestions work? The Roku stream bar is only a year and a half old!?

0 Kudos