Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We Didn’t Find a Roku Device on Your Network

We recently installed a new modem from Shaw and now I cannot connect my mobile remote with my Roku device.  The error message “We didn’t Find a Roku device on your network” appears.  I lost my physical remote so I cannot go into settings and connect manually.  I also tried using the Remoku chrome extension on my desktop to find my IP address.  The previous modem was sent back to Shaw from my landlord.  

What else can I do?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: We Didn’t Find a Roku Device on Your Network

You either have to get a physical remote or configure your new modem/router to match the last Wi-Fi network your Roku device is expecting - same SSID/network name and password.  You can't use any app as a remote until it's connected to a network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
joy1107

Hi, I have the same issue with an old roku (not firestick), no remote, and do not have old wifi network and password. I downloaded the mobile app, changed the settings on my iPhone to match my wifi network settings, however, it still does not work. Can you help?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

As mentioned above, you'll want a real remote if you can't match the old SSID and passphrase. (And any time you choose to change SSIDs and/or passphrases in the future - so a remote is always a good thing to have.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

@joy1107wrote:

Hi, I have the same issue with an old Roku (not firestick), no remote, and do not have old WiFi network and password.

If you don't know the previous network's SSID and password, then you must have a remote to connect the Roku to a network before the app can be used. Since you mention it's an older Roku, perhaps it has a Ethernet jack and you can connect your Roku with an Ethernet cable to your router. Then the Roku will connect automatically to the wired network, and the Roku app on your phone should work just fine.

And again, if it's not a Roku Stick (it doesn't plug directly into the TV HDMI port, but needs an HDMI cable), then you can get an inexpensive generic IR remote from almost any store that sells electronic equipment for less than $10. Just make sure it lists support for Roku players.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

For the above discussions, note that setting your router to your former routers' network name (SSID) and password only works if your Roku is still trying to connect to your former network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, if you have cleared its network settings, or if you have done a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a remote to set the Roku network connection up.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X