Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darrensmith
Reel Rookie

Unable to connect to streaming

I'm on a trip and brought my Roku Streaming Stick + with me, but forgot my remote. Is there a way to access it with out it? I downloaded the app but it cant see my device because it's not connected to the hotel internet yet. And I can't seem to connect it, or find its IP address with out the remote. Im limited on data for my Hotspot so dodnt want to try connecting that wsy until I knew how to get the device to see my network too. x26 taser battery

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Unable to connect to streaming

Hi @Darrensmith 

Thank you for the post.

I understand that you forgot your Roku remote while on your trip. Here are a few things you could try to connect your Roku Streaming Stick + to the hotel Wi-Fi network without a remote:

• Use the Roku mobile app: You've mentioned that you've downloaded the Roku mobile app, but it's not seeing your device yet. Try manually connecting your phone to the hotel Wi-Fi network and then open the Roku app. If your Roku Streaming Stick+ is on the same Wi-Fi network as your phone, the app should detect it and allow you to control it.
  • Use the Roku mobile app with Wi-Fi Direct: The Roku mobile app also has a feature called Wi-Fi Direct, which allows you to connect directly to your Roku device without being on the same Wi-Fi network. To use this feature, both your phone and the Roku device must have Wi-Fi Direct turned on. You can turn on Wi-Fi Direct on your Roku device by pressing and holding the pairing button on the side of the device for 3 seconds. Once Wi-Fi Direct is enabled, open the Roku mobile app, and it should automatically detect your device.
  • Try connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi using your Roku Streaming Stick+'s built-in hotspot: If your Roku device has not yet been connected to the hotel Wi-Fi network, it may be broadcasting its own Wi-Fi network that you can connect to. Look for the Roku network in your phone's Wi-Fi settings, and connect to it. Once connected, open the Roku mobile app and follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device to the hotel Wi-Fi network.

I hope one of these solutions works for you, and you're able to control your Roku Streaming Stick+ without a remote. If none of these methods works, you may need to purchase a replacement remote.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Darrensmith
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Darrensmith

Thank you for the reply!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.