Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: To everyone having the same "suddenly no wifi" problem

Jump to solution

@tsherr57 

Thanks for the post.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

In addition, we would recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips on our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

If adjusting your wireless network (changing the wireless broadcast channel, etc.) isn't helping, send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll get you in touch with our support team to see if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MMD

Jump to solution

I'm shocked that no one at Roku has address any of our concerns. Except the  standard reply. There's clearly something wrong with the device. I bought it in April. I tried calling but I get a message about not working because of Covid. So does this mean no human customer support? Should I tweet my concerns?

Model ## 392ox

0 Kudos
WI_Canuck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

To Roku Danny,

Why do you keeping bringing up "is your router transmitting at 2.4GHz"?  Are you suggesting that everyone's router all of sudden stopped broadcasting at 2.4GHz while everyone's other devices are fine?  Come on.  That makes no sense whatsoever.  If the Express doesn't work from initial startup, sure, but to lose the wireless connection for days after having it work for months?  No way.

The Express or + version are weak devices - that's it.  Whatever electronics are used to get the wireless signal are poor quality - that's why these are your cheapest models.  I had a similar experience back in March; my Express + couldn't maintain wireless connection, yet my Roku Ultra, WHICH WAS 25 FT. AWAY on another TV on the same floor, had no issues.  And everything else in my house that uses wireless was fine.  It eventually worked after 3 days without me doing anything; I learned that my internet provider was having issues during that time.  Signal gets stronger, Express+ starts working again.  Hmmm...

Roku should give everyone with issues with their Express a $25 credit towards a Roku Ultra.  You might be able to keep some of your customers that way.  Don't get me wrong - I like Roku, just not your Express models.  The Ultra is great - volume control, headphone jack so that I can listen at night without waking anyone up, HD and 4K streaming, and no issues after a year of use.

seholler

Jump to solution

Danny

I have three roku devices and a 60 inch Roku TV. We recently changed modems and routers due to an issue with our old network. We have a new network and the TV and two streaming boxes have connected to the new network but my roku streaming stick will not find the new network. At the home screen in the top right it says"not connected" and the options menu is blacked out. Remote has stopped working. It worked just fine last week with the old network. Any ideas??

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@seholler wrote:

Danny

I have three roku devices and a 60 inch Roku TV. We recently changed modems and routers due to an issue with our old network. We have a new network and the TV and two streaming boxes have connected to the new network but my roku streaming stick will not find the new network. At the home screen in the top right it says"not connected" and the options menu is blacked out. Remote has stopped working. It worked just fine last week with the old network. Any ideas??

Your first issue is getting the remote connected again, as you can't do anything with a Stick without a working remote. Remove the batteries from the remote and put them in again, making sure they are correctly installed. If it doesn't pair up with the Roku, then press the pair button under the battery cover. This page might be of assistance with that.

Once the remote is working again, you should be able to connect to your new network. Most likely your new router has a different SSID and password than your old one, which is why the Stick won't automatically connect.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ler0005
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I purchased a Roku Express in July. It worked great until today. Suddenly, the device wasn’t connected to WiFi anymore. I restarted the router, the roku device, reset the roku to factory connection, and tried connecting the device to my mobile hotspot. I was able to set up my device on my mobile hotspot, but when I tried to switch back to my internet, suddenly the device could detect every network in my neighborhood but my own. My roku is literally touching my router. So........did I just waste $40 on something that lasted a month. 

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ler0005 wrote:

I purchased a Roku Express in July. It worked great until today. Suddenly, the device wasn’t connected to WiFi anymore. I restarted the router, the roku device, reset the roku to factory connection, and tried connecting the device to my mobile hotspot. I was able to set up my device on my mobile hotspot, but when I tried to switch back to my internet, suddenly the device could detect every network in my neighborhood but my own. My roku is literally touching my router. So........did I just waste $40 on something that lasted a month. 

Try to go to Settings> Network>check connection. Or if you need to go to set up connection to reestablish connection. That's because your Roku runs on your home WiFi network. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ler0005 wrote:

My roku is literally touching my router. So........did I just waste $40 on something that lasted a month. 

That's actually a little too close. There should be a couple of feet minimum between them.

Since you have the Express, it only works on 2.4 GHz. If your wireless is only using the 5 GHz band, your Express will never see if. That's the first thing I suggest checking. 

You might also try doing a network reset. It's in a separate location in the settings menu from the network itself. Should be on the System/Advanced system settings. All it does is clear any previously stored network connection information. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ler0005
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My phone and computer both connected to the 2.4 GHz wifi without problems. I moved the roku a few feet away from the router. Also did a network reset. Now the roku won't even connect to my mobile hotspot. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ler0005 

Thanks for the posts.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos