Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Babsruth
Channel Surfer

Streaming hasn't worked for months - tried everything

Not sure if this is the right board to choose, but I'll try. Roku 4K streaming stick hasn't worked for months. I've tried everything -- reboot router, reboot roku stick, new batteries in remote, soft reset, hard reset. If I unplug the device for a few seconds, when I replug it with the TV HDMI on, I get the bouncing Roku for about 30 seconds. Then the screen goes black. Every solution I've seen requires me to be able to get to the settings. I can't get that far. Hitting home button does nothing, hitting Netflix does nothing, etc. The remote DOES work. Maybe my 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming hasn't worked for months - tried everything

@Babsruth 

Try using a power adapter at the wall if you are currently using the TV's USB port for power. (any 5 volt, 1 amp cell phone charging adapter should work).  If you are already using a power adapter at the wall, try another one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

I'm guessing that they're doing Geoblocking right now.  If you're using a VPN to change your location, they're probably blacking you out.  Let me guess.  You can see the guide, the guide numbers.  You can see the still shots, but you don't get live TV.  If that's the case, you've joined many of us on here.  They won't admit to Geoblocking but it's getting pretty obvious.  Myself, I have 4 Roku devices, 2 TV's and 2 sticks and all of them have the same issue.  They'll put you through a bunch of tests but you'll not get a result.  They just do it to play the game with you.  Poor customer service.

0 Kudos
Babsruth
Channel Surfer

Thank you, but I have been plugging into the wall the whole time, so that is not the issue.

0 Kudos
Babsruth
Channel Surfer

Sorry, that's not the issue. I'm not using a VPN and I'm not seeing numbers. Black screen.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Babsruth 

If swapping out the power adapter with another one (to rule out a bad power supply) has already been tried, you may just have a bad/defective device.

If under a year, should qualify for warranty replacement. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
Babsruth
Channel Surfer

Thank you. I tried your suggestion, but it didn't fix the problem. I think my device is just broken. It's more than a year old, though it should last longer than a few years, but it's out of warranty.

0 Kudos
Babsruth
Channel Surfer

Do you know if I I got a new device if it would save my old settings or would I start fresh?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Babsruth 

Doesn't really save "settings".  If you use the same email address you did for the first one (which is your Roku account), then any subscriptions and channels/apps you have installed on your old one will transfer to the new one.

However, you will have to login to all your subscriptions again and arrange the tiles again on your Home Screen.

The same holds true if you add additional devices to your Roku account.  The actual settings and tile arrangements are "per device" whereas the subscriptions and channels/apps are "per account". (shared amongst all devices linked to the same account).

----

For what it is worth, I really do not care for the Streaming Sticks, but like the actual Streaming Players. (Roku Express 4k+, Ultra, etc).  I haven't had any issues (failures) with any of these that I have purchased.  I did have to replace the proprietary Wireless receiver cable on a Streaming Stick that I purchased for a family member so swore those off after that.

0 Kudos
Babsruth
Channel Surfer

Thank @AvsGunnar . Very helpful. Since I have an older TV (LG LCD, not 4K) I may just go with the less expensive Roku Express for now. But, I did think of one other thing. I changed my internet router (and therefore my password) several months ago. I honestly don't remember if the Roku problems started before that (I think they did). Anyway, since I cannot get to the page where I change the settings, I cannot change the router info. I find nowhere to do that in my account online (which seems a little strange, as it's a catch-22 from I can tell.  A person needs to change the settings, but since the settings (password/router) have changed, a person cannot get to the settings to change them. At least that's how I am reading it, but I would love to be proven wrong.

0 Kudos