Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anime_ted
Channel Surfer

Streaming Stick+ can connect to network but gives error 003

On its initial boot, my 3810X Streaming Stick+ is connecting to the Internet, failing to update, and returning error 003. The device will not bypass the update so it is unusable.

I have attempted to connect the device using three different known-good access points, including a hotspot.

I have some network knowledge and tools, and have looked at the unencrypted network traffic from the device. It is connecting to the Internet and is contacting Roku's servers. I can see that the device is sending requests to these servers and receiving responses saying access is forbidden or denied.

Anyone have any similar experience? The developer channel says this device is still eligible for updates.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming Stick+ can connect to network but gives error 003

@anime_ted I would try a factory reset of the device.  Should be a button or pin hole in the stick for a factory reset.

0 Kudos
anime_ted
Channel Surfer

@HDMIGuy Thanks for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I did also reset the device. I'm pretty sure that worked because I had to re-select my Wi-Fi access point and enter the credentials again. Unfortunately the device still would not update.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@anime_ted 

It is a bit curious that the hotspot did not work for you.

If using both your network and the hotspot failed, would seem that the server you are attempting to is having trouble recognizing the device. (as a valid connection, or the update server for your device may be having a temporary issue).

You indicated you thought the Factory Reset was successful because you had to re-enter network credentials.  A successful factory reset should have taken you back to the default "welcome/get started" screen prompting you to setup and activate the device. (ie. enter your email address).  Just use the same email address you originally used when you set up the Roku device if you need to retain your channels and any subscriptions.

If you do not have anything that necessarily has to be saved, you can also try using a new email address in order to create a new Roku account for your device.

In either case, make sure you disable any VPNs or any network blocks to Roku services (ie. any ad blockers or blocking cloudfront/cloudservices) before proceeding with the setup/activation of the Roku device.

----

Try performing another Factory Reset (press and hold the Reset button on the 3810 for 30+ seconds.)  You can also factory reset by going to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
anime_ted
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnarthanks for the good information. Unfortunately, updates are still unsuccessful. I followed your advice to perform a factory reset and recorded the sequence of events to make sure I haven't missed anything:

1. Hold reset button for 30 seconds --> Get bouncing Roku logo until the 30-second mark, then screen goes blank and Roku reboots.

2. Roku asks me to pair the remote --> success

3. Roku asks me to select the language --> success

4.  Roku asks me to select a network --> i select the appropriate access point and enter the password

5. I select "Connect" -->

Roku then indicates successful connections to wireless network, local network, and the Internet

(three green check marks)

6. Roku then shows "Checking for new software..." for a fraction of a second, then displays the "Software update failed" message and gives error code 003.

At no point in this process does the Roku ask for an email address. I assume that should happen after the software update has been applied.

Also, I do have a network ad-blocker but I disabled it completely for this process.

I also thought the problem might be with the update servers but I'm over 24 hours into this and not hearing about anyone else having this issue. I would think there would be others complaining if that were the case. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place for that information.

So, I'm still stuck.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@anime_ted 

There are a few others having trouble with the 003 error currently. 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Error-003-Can-t-update-software/m-p/983157#M37804

---

I didn't see any update/announcement from Roku that they were experiencing any server outages though (although they really aren't always too quick with such announcements).

---

You are correct that the device will perform a software update before it proceeds through the setup/activation. (ie. email address/account setup).  Looks like the Factory Reset was performed properly.

---

If you perform the Factory Reset again and try to setup using the hotspot and run into the same error, then I believe it may be a server-side issue and you may just have to wait until the server gets reset. (who knows if Roku even works weekends anymore).

I don't trust any tech company to be transparent with any issues they may be having so sometimes just have to wait or try alternative methods.

Although it is usually advised to turn off any VPNs during activation, you can always try a US based city location different from your current one (if you are in US) and see if that allows you to connect to an alternate server.  That at least may allow you to get connected. (if you have a VPN available).

If you are in US, you just want to make sure you are setting up a US-based account. (A Roku account does not care if set up in New York or Montana for it to proceed through setup/activation).

---

Again, though, if having an issue with both a hotspot and the regular network, the issue may be more a Roku server issue.   It is also possible that the device may be defective and is not recognizing or able to detect an active internet connection, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet.

0 Kudos
anime_ted
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnarInteresting information in the link. I will have to improve my search skills. I'm relieved to learn that I'm not the only one having trouble.

At this point a server issue does seem like the most likely problem. You make a good point about tech companies not being forthcoming about things like this. I'll keep testing to see if this resolves itself over the next day or so. I don't have a VPN service but might try that route at some point.

Thanks again for your very helpful information.

0 Kudos
anime_ted
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar and @HDMIGuy, Roku says I have a hardware problem. This one goes away and I have another device coming. Just closing the loop. Thanks again for your advice.

AvsGunnar

@anime_ted 

Appreciate the update.  Hopefully the new one will solve the issue for you.  👍

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.