Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KingwoodTexan
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku just stopped working for no reason

Sorry! I saw your helpful post after I replied.  I signed in as ascadmin and gnarly found the setting.  It is G,N. If I get brave I'll change it! 😂 Thank you again 

KingwoodTexan
Channel Surfer

Thank you very much for providing the links.   They will be handy if I forget what I'm doing!

Sandy99

Same situation.  What can be done? Someone please help.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Sandy99 wrote:

Same situation.  What can be done? Someone please help.

If it's the same situation, then did you try the same suggestions? If so, then perhaps restating your issue, avoiding words such as "same" and "all" so we can better understand things. If the suggestions made that worked for others aren't working for you, then something is different, meaning not the same. So describe the situation and we'll see what we can do.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
songbuff
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem!

2 TCL Roku TVs

1 ONN Roku TV

1 Roku Device

All stopped working at the same time two days ago. I tried every reset known to man, hardwire, and I also tried to run off of my phone's hotspot, with no luck.

It will connect to our network, but not the internet. 

Our computers and phones work fine.

Help! I have a bored mother-in-law living with us and there's only so much she can watch on antenna TV .

God forbid she has to deal with change!!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@songbuff

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Who is your ISP (internet service provider) and what is the make and model of your router? Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that helps resolve the issue? 

For troubleshooting purposes have you tried connecting to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue occur?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
songbuff
Reel Rookie

My ISP is Rise Broadband.

My router is a TP-LINK, but I can't see the model number.

I have tried every reboot possible, including the router.

I have tried linking to my Verizon Hotspot on my phone and still nothing.

All devices will connect to the router, but not the internet.

Our two computers and two phones connect to internet via WiFi with no problem.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@songbuff 

If you have the new TP Link Mesh Deco M4 (the cylindrical routers) offered through Rise Broadband, then try disabling the 5ghz band until the Roku devices connect.  Once connected, then can re-enable the 5ghz band.

The Deco cannot be modified on the 5ghz band (not user configurable) when Mesh mode is enabled.  Quite possible it has switched to an unsupported 5ghz DFS channel (52-140).  Only way to configure the Deco M4 is to disable Mesh Mode.

The workaround above (temporarily disabling 5ghz band) in order to force the Roku devices to connect to the 2.4ghz band hopefully will work for you.  Then when you re-enable the 5ghz band, the mesh system will likely move your devices around to the appropriate band.

There were some reports that having IPv6 enabled also caused some wonky issues with this router.  Under the DHCP settings, you can try enabling only IPv4.  Disable IPv6 support and see if connection can now be made. (This will require a router restart after making the change).

Otherwise, the TP-Link router should have a sticker on the bottom.  Rise originally came with TP-Link Archer C7 routers and within the last year offered these Deco M4 and M7 routers as an upgrade.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
songbuff
Reel Rookie

I don't have the new router yet. I actually just received and email the other day to upgrade to the newer one.

Should I do it?

Will it help or do you think I'll be in the same boat?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@songbuff 

If you have poor wifi coverage in your home, it may help, but it also may introduce additional issues into your network with Rokus as posted above.  I also didn't like their monthly charge for the router.  I have used the TP-Link Archer routers on other networks so was glad to see it when it was included with Rise.  Mine came with the Archer C5.

You likely don't have this b/g/n issue as this is only affecting cable ISP, not fixed satellite and manufacturer routers like TP-Link. (I run my Rise TP-Link on g/n).

I personally would just Factory Reset the TP-Link router and do a new setup of the network. (There is a pinhole labeled Reset on back of these routers that you hold until the router lights flash 5-10secs.)  This will normally solve 90% of problems.

Prior to Factory resetting your router, you can try the below things first.

1.  Try replacing the short ethernet cable that runs from the power block to your router and then try unseating/reseating the POE cable (that black cable that runs from your satellite to the power cube).  Also unplug the POE power cube for a min or so.  Same with router, unplug for a min as well.

2. Remove the password from the SSID networks. (create an open network).  This would just be for troubleshooting, you would put a password back in later in this was your culprit.

3. Login to your router and verify that your settings are similar to below....

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

----

You can also call Rise and have them walk you through the Factory Reset if you feel more comfortable, but relatively easy process.  After the factory reset, just use the Settings mentioned above and should hopefully be connected again. 

Additionally, when you did the "hardwire", did you verify that that the ethernet cable was placed in one of LAN ports (orange), and not the WAN port(blue)?  

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

---

If you choose to factory reset, login is usually 192.168.0.1 and your login creds will normally be admin and admin (for the password).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos