Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhammons12

Roku dorm wifi connection issues

Jump to solution

My roku express is plugged in to a computer monitor and it turns on and everything but it will not let me connect to my college wifi. when I select my wifi in the networks section, it lets me choose dorm/hotel, but when i connect to the wifi shown on the screen for the roku to fill out my name and room number, my phone will not launch the browser to do so and says that there is no connection. All of my other devices will connect to the school wifi. I cannot get past the roku authentication step. please help. Roku Express (3930, 3931 series)  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku dorm wifi connection issues

Jump to solution

Hello! @mhammons12,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding the connectivity issue of your Roku device with the Dorm Wi-Fi. We are glad to help.

Is this the first time you have set up this Roku device? It needs to be activated before you can connect it to your dorm's Wi-Fi. You can use your mobile data and hotspot to connect to your Roku device for setup and activation.

When using Hotel and Dorm Connect, be sure to travel with the following:

• Your activated Roku device, accessory cables, power adapter, and remote. If your Roku device has been disconnected for an extended period, connect it to your home network before traveling and have it manually checked for a software update.
  • A computer or smartphone with wireless capabilities and a web browser
  • A High-Speed HDMI Cable

Connect to the internet

After you arrive at your destination and set up your Roku device, initiate and authenticate the connection to the internet using the instructions below.

Initiate the connection

Open the Settings menu on your Roku device to initiate the connection.

1. Press Home 

on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Set Up connection
  5. Select Wireless
  6. Choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm from the list of available networks. If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
  7. After your Roku device connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.

Authenticate the connection

After initiating the connection, the remaining steps will appear on the television screen. Complete these steps on your computer or smartphone.

• Note: You have several minutes to authenticate. If the network setup times out, select Try again to initiate the connection.

After the connection is authenticated, your Roku device will return to the Network menu. The Network name should match the hotel or college dorm network, and the Status should say Connected.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @mhammons12,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding the connectivity issue of your Roku device with the Dorm Wi-Fi. We are glad to help.

Is this the first time you have set up this Roku device? It needs to be activated before you can connect it to your dorm's Wi-Fi. You can use your mobile data and hotspot to connect to your Roku device for setup and activation.

When using Hotel and Dorm Connect, be sure to travel with the following:

• Your activated Roku device, accessory cables, power adapter, and remote. If your Roku device has been disconnected for an extended period, connect it to your home network before traveling and have it manually checked for a software update.
  • A computer or smartphone with wireless capabilities and a web browser
  • A High-Speed HDMI Cable

Connect to the internet

After you arrive at your destination and set up your Roku device, initiate and authenticate the connection to the internet using the instructions below.

Initiate the connection

Open the Settings menu on your Roku device to initiate the connection.

1. Press Home 

on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Set Up connection
  5. Select Wireless
  6. Choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm from the list of available networks. If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
  7. After your Roku device connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.

After initiating the connection, the remaining steps will appear on the television screen. Complete these steps on your computer or smartphone.

• Note: You have several minutes to authenticate. If the network setup times out, select Try again to initiate the connection.

After the connection is authenticated, your Roku device will return to the Network menu. The Network name should match the hotel or college dorm network, and the Status should say Connected.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sfagan55

Jump to solution

Hello!!! 

I am having trouble connecting to my wifi at the college dorms. I have followed your steps and have found the wifi I need, but I am having trouble finding this part: 

It will not redirect me to a different website or pop up when I launch another browser. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi! @sfagan55,

Thank you for posting on the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about connecting your Roku device to your college dorm's Wi-Fi. We're pleased to assist you.

After initiating a connection to connect your college Wi-Fi dorm, what do you see on your TV screen? The remaining instructions will show on your TV screen.

Please send us a picture of what you see on your TV screen after initiating a connection to your college Wi-Fi dorm.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos