Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wombat1
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Wireless connection Fails ?

It was working fine for years; how can there be something with the router if it was working, that makes no sense. So your saying it's never going to work, no matter what Roku is not going to work.

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

Is there any phone number which I can contact Roku support because this is ridiculous. I've checked all settings within the router and it's pretty basic that the Roku should pick up the signal.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

OK, bummer you don't have a phone hotspot. 

But the fact that two completely different Roku players can't connect really does point at a problem with the router's WiFi settings. It's just that from here there's not much else I can offer. You already mentioned the Mode is set to B/G/N. You might see if there's a Channel Width setting (remember, we're only looking at the 2.4GHz radio, in case your router is dual band) and make certain the channel width is set to 20 MHz. 

As a long shot, you could look at the security settings and make sure that the router is using WPA2 Personal as the security protocol. If it's set to Enterprise, that could cause a problem. If it's set to WEP (sure hope not!) or WPA1 (it could just say WPA) that could be an issue as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

No, I'm not saying it will never work. And unfortunately even if Roku had a telephone support number (they don't) they couldn't assist with router issues. There's simply too many different makes, models and ISPs for them to help there. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

Someone whom I know is relying on this surely believes that it will never work again. In any case, there has to be something to which is the cause of this problem that is based on the Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I realize how easy it is to point the finger at Roku, but you have two completely different pieces of hardware that are experiencing the same issue. Other than the fact they say Roku on the box, there is no commonality between the two players. I've mentioned that your Roku 2 might simply died of old age, but without testing it on a different WiFi network we can't say for certain. 

If the problem was with the Roku OS, then millions of users would be having the same issue. I have eight different Roku devices in my home. Most are using WiFi but a couple have Ethernet cables. They all work just fine on my two different WiFi access points. Some use 2.4 GHz, while others use 5 GHz (your Express is 2.4GHz only). `

I really do wish you the best of luck getting it figured out. I've exhausted my list of suggestions, short of replacing the router. That's not always the best way to fix things, but sometimes it's a necessity. As I mentioned before, I placed my ISP provided modem/router into Bridge mode and installed my own router, which completely cleared up some issues I was having. I have stong knowledge in computers and networking, and I couldn't get mine to do what I wanted until I did this.

Since your router is provided by your ISP (at least that's what it sounds like), I would push them to replace it. I'm still of the opinion that the router is the issue, but that's the best I can do from afar. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Wombat1 

I would look into @atc98092 suggestion of a password/authentication issue at the router.

If you post the model number of your router and your ISP (internet service provider), that may help narrow down a potential settings issue.  Also, go to Settings/System/About and post what both model numbers of your devices are. (not model names, but model numbers, as this tells us their capabilities/limitations).  I see the 3930 in your initial posting, but users sometimes just attach whatever the forum software lists.

Generally, under Wireless Security in your router's Wireless Settings, you can verify that the Mode (or Encryption) is set to WPA2.  If set to WPA3, your Roku devices will not connect.  Also, for troubleshooting, I would simply remove the password, or leave the password field blank, on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands (basically, create an open network), and see if my devices now connect.

------

We kind of need to go through a few basic checks to try and narrow down the culprit.  Let's concentrate on the 2.4ghz band first so that we can try and get both devices to connect to that band.  Providing the router model number, the ISP, and the Roku device model numbers will greatly help.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

The Roku 3930 is the Express model which I recently purchased. The Roku2 has no model number that I can locate on the model itself. 

As for the Router, I changed to WPA2 nothing worked and it's a Sagemcom 2864 Router. The router does not allow the password field to be blank.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Wombat1 

Hate to be picky here but need to provide the details requested in the manner requested.

When you navigate to Settings/System/About on your Roku devices, this will give us the model numbers. (as opposed to looking on the device cases).

Are you using this Sagemcom 2864 on the Bell ISP, or another ISP?

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

The Sagemcom 2864 is on the Bell ISP.

Regarding the Roku2; that is not installed I will have to get back to you soon on that. For Roku Express I cannot go to Settings / System / About as it's a new installation and requires setup to which I cannot get past the WiFi connection error !

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.