Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Wireless connection Fails ?

@Wombat1 

Understood.

Ok, this is definitely an older 2.4ghz-only router so we don't have to worry about 5ghz issues and you are using it on the ISP it is designed for (and the firmware configured for Bell).

It kind of complicates things in that we have an older router with an older Roku2 device so hardware issues with one or the other or both may be a factor.  And we have an unactivated/new Roku device. (which we cannot yet rule out may be defective).

---------------

Try the following and see if anything improves.

1. Under the router's Settings/Wireless tab, change the SSID password. (use something easy, like a name.  Do not use any special characters, question marks, etc).

2. Verify under Settings/Wireless that Wireless Security Type=WPA2-PSK (AES).  Make sure TKIP is nowhere enabled.  Needs to be PSK (AES).  This is the default setting for this router.

3. Manually assign a Wireless Channel under Settings/Wireless/General.  Try 3, 4, 8, or 9 and set the Bandwidth to 20mhz.  Do not use Auto for either Channel or Bandwidth.

4. Press Save.  Restart the Router.  After router reboots, unplug for a minute or two.  Then plug back in and reboot.

5. Using the Roku2, go to Settings/System/Advanced System Setting/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.  After the Roku2 reboots automatically during this process, see if you can now connect using this new password.

6. If you can now connect, then try Factory Resetting the new Roku Express 3930 by pressing and holding the reset button for 30+ seconds and see if that now connects.  Do not factory reset the Roku2. (it may be too old to be updated and may get stuck in a loop which will render it useless).

7. If you still do not have luck with the above, go back to the router and Enable the Guest Network under Settings/Wireless.  Give the Guest Network a simple name (different from your main SSID) and see if you can leave password field blank/open.  If not, again use simple password.  Reboot the router again after enabling the Guest Network and see if either the Roku2 or new Express 3930 can connect to this guest network.  

-----

Feel free to update this posting and describe if anything improved, what you noticed, etc.  Include any error messages you may be seeing on screen (especially error message numbers).

-------

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@Wombat1 

Understood.

Ok, this is definitely an older 2.4ghz-only router so we don't have to worry about 5ghz issues and you are using it on the ISP it is designed for (and the firmware configured for Bell).

It kind of complicates things in that we have an older router with an older Roku2 device so hardware issues with one or the other or both may be a factor.  And we have an unactivated/new Roku device. (which we cannot yet rule out may be defective).

---------------

Try the following and see if anything improves.

1. Under the router's Settings/Wireless tab, change the SSID password. (use something easy, like a name.  Do not use any special characters, question marks, etc).

2. Verify under Settings/Wireless that Wireless Security Type=WPA2-PSK (AES).  Make sure TKIP is nowhere enabled.  Needs to be PSK (AES).  This is the default setting for this router.

3. Manually assign a Wireless Channel under Settings/Wireless/General.  Try 3, 4, 8, or 9 and set the Bandwidth to 20mhz.  Do not use Auto for either Channel or Bandwidth.

4. Press Save.  Restart the Router.  After router reboots, unplug for a minute or two.  Then plug back in and reboot.

5. Using the Roku2, go to Settings/System/Advanced System Setting/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.  After the Roku2 reboots automatically during this process, see if you can now connect using this new password.

6. If you can now connect, then try Factory Resetting the new Roku Express 3930 by pressing and holding the reset button for 30+ seconds and see if that now connects.  Do not factory reset the Roku2. (it may be too old to be updated and may get stuck in a loop which will render it useless).

7. If you still do not have luck with the above, go back to the router and Enable the Guest Network under Settings/Wireless.  Give the Guest Network a simple name (different from your main SSID) and see if you can leave password field blank/open.  If not, again use simple password.  Reboot the router again after enabling the Guest Network and see if either the Roku2 or new Express 3930 can connect to this guest network.  

-----

Feel free to update this posting and describe if anything improved, what you noticed, etc.  Include any error messages you may be seeing on screen (especially error message numbers).

-------

I changed the SSID password to a simple word, although this did not solve the issue; I also as you suggested changed the router's Settings / Wireless tab type to WPA2-PSK (AES) and made sure that TKIP was not enabled. I also changed along with the above the wireless channel and it's bandwidth making sure auto was not enabled. Saved all these settings attempted to get the Roku to connect to the WiFi with no success. 

Remember, I cannot attempt none of the above with the Roku2 as it was factory reset a few days ago, therefore it prompts the same questions to get it up and running as the Roku Express. 

In any case, currently testing on the Roku Express this is not working; the Roku cannot connect to the WiFi signal so there is something mis-handled by the Roku.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Wombat1 

I didn't see anything indicating that this router could be controlled by mobile app. (Need to login to router to make changes).

If this is the case, go into the Settings/Wireless and verify that MAC Filtering is not enabled. (This setting will exclude devices unless their MAC address is manually entered into router for access.  As such, want this disabled).

If the MAC Filter setting is not the culprit, and there is no Pause feature via mobile app, then your Guest Network is the next thing to Enable and see if the Roku Express can connect to it.

----

If the Guest Network does not work for you, I personally would Factory Reset the router.  However, I think you should probably contact Bell and inquire about a new router.  They will likely give you a newer/better one that will have dual band capability (2.4ghz and 5ghz).

The 5ghz will not help with the Express 3930 as only 2.4ghz capable, but will have newer features and firmware.

I think you have exhausted all remedies available.  I would begin to suspect a router issue at this point. (Could be firmware, could be the Roku device no longer compatible with the router, the router could have a hardware issue, etc.)

If a Factory Reset of a router does not resolve issue, then kind of beating a dead horse and I would simply replace router.

-----

Feel free to update re: the guest Network and the MAC Filter verification.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

It doesn't make any sense that it would just abruptly stopped working when it was still working the morning of that day mentioned in an earlier message. It's not as if Bell released an update; although, no updates were released for the router and it would break all WiFi connections. 

The router has already been factory reset twice and it didn't solve the issue. 

It would be extremely helpful if someone from Roku its self would become part of is issue.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Wombat1 wrote:

It would be extremely helpful if someone from Roku its self would become part of is issue.

Unfortunately, Roku tech support does not participate in the forum. They have moderators that can forward your issue to tech support, but I seriously doubt they would provide any better assistance than you've already received here. 

I know you don't believe it's the router, but I am far more suspicious of it than the Roku players. Any router that's old enough to only have a single WiFi radio band is likely quite old, same as your Roku 2. When the Roku 2 started having problems, I too would agree it was likely the Roku. But when a brand new device also fails to connect, the router becomes more suspicious.

Is it possible you got a defective Express? Certainly. I got a bad Roku TV (the Insignia brand, which is a Best Buy house brand, not made by Roku themselves) that would not complete the setup. I returned it and got another identical TV and it has worked for more then six years now (and still in use).

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

It could be that I got a defective Roku, but that is where it would be helpful if this could be this issue could be forwarded to tech support. 

Your saying it's the router, I'm skeptical that it's the router as it just stopped; something doesn't work and just stop out of the blue when it was working earlier in the day. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Wombat1 wrote:

Your saying it's the router, I'm skeptical that it's the router as it just stopped; something doesn't work and just stop out of the blue when it was working earlier in the day. 

While the Roku might have simply stopped working (especially the older Roku 2), routers can and do fail as well, including failures that don't completely shut them down. I have had that happen, where the DNS function of the router failed but the Internet was still connected. The only devices that would work were a couple of computers using a static IP address. And as mentioned, your ISP might have changed something without your knowledge. It's happened with various ISPs numerous times over the years, and they often won't even admit they did it. 

Unfortunately, there's only one sure test if the problem is the Roku or the router, and that's to use an alternate Internet connection. Perhaps you have a friend that would allow you to test it on their phone hotspot. If you're anywhere near the south end of the Seattle area, I'd be glad to assist myself. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

I tested on a phone which can detect a WiFi signal and connect to that, although it was not able to connect using the WiFi password.

I factory reset the Roku2 as I thought there was something internal with the Roku2; then when the Roku Express had the same issues I couldn't figure out what that may be. 

Are you a moderator; could you pass this onto Roku support incase it is the Roku. The Roku2 may still work; it may not but in any case the Roku Express is recent so it should work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Wombat1 wrote:

I tested on a phone which can detect a WiFi signal and connect to that, although it was not able to connect using the WiFi password.

I believe you are still misunderstanding me about a phone hotspot. It's not that the phone that is detecting anything. The phone itself provides the WiFi that the other devices can connect to. However, if you are saying the phone won't connect to your WiFi either, then you have isolated the problem to be the router, and you should ask your ISP for a replacement.

No, neither AvsGunnar nor myself are moderators here. We are simply users like yourself that have some expertise in the use of Roku devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Wombat1
Streaming Star

After doing numerous tests and configurations the issue was that the WiFi in my old modem had died; the internet connection still worked fine but strictly the WiFi had died. I had the modem for a long time with no issues with anything so I guess excess use of WiFi by means of the Roku killed it.

I have a new modem, it has more antennas and is working successfully. 

0 Kudos