Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PT671

Roku Not Working Without Ethernet

Jump to solution

My Roku Stick is not working at all unless it is wired to my wifi via ethernet. The roku settings shows that it’s connected to the wifi wirelessly, but shuts down completely when I remove the ethernet cable from the stick. I’ve tried resetting the roku stick itself, my wifi, everything. 

Aren’t roku sticks supposed to work without being connected to anything else but the TV? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Not Working Without Ethernet

Jump to solution

@PT671 

The Streaming Sticks (3810/3811/3820/3821) require the Long Range Wireless Receiver (LRWR) to be used with them.  This is what gives them the wireless capability to connect to network. (Wifi module located inside the cable, not the Streaming Stick).

If using wired connection (Ethernet adapter w/ Streaming Stick), you must have disconnected the LRWR cable (often referred to as the bumpy thing in the cable).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Not Working Without Ethernet

Jump to solution

@PT671 

The Streaming Sticks (3810/3811/3820/3821) require the Long Range Wireless Receiver (LRWR) to be used with them.  This is what gives them the wireless capability to connect to network. (Wifi module located inside the cable, not the Streaming Stick).

If using wired connection (Ethernet adapter w/ Streaming Stick), you must have disconnected the LRWR cable (often referred to as the bumpy thing in the cable).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102