Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judywoody
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4k black screen, apparently not connected to Wifi

Jump to solution

Hi I hope I can find some help here 😞

My Roku suddenly stopped working. By "stopped working" I mean I get a black screen.

The Roku itself is showing the blue light but doesn't respond to the remote. When trying to use the app it tells me "Not available on this Network" (it always worked on this Network, no issues). I can't connect manually because I can't retrieve the IP address because the screen is black.

I did all the typical checks:

- Light is on

- Checked all HDMI Ports

- Restarted router

- unplugged device for a few minutes and plugged it back in - the bouncing Roku logo appears for about 20 seconds and then the screen goes black again

-I tried to do a hard reset by pressing the reset button on the device itself for 30 secs but nothing is happening. Light doesn't go off or flicker and nothing is happening on the TV itself.

I would set it up again from scratch but if the display doesn't come on I can't set it up 😞

Tried to find a solution online but it's pretty useless as it mostly suggest to use the IP address I can't retrieve and use the reset button which doesn't do anything.

Any idea what else I can try? It sounds like a dodgy update.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
judywoody
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4k black screen, apparently not connected to Wifi

Jump to solution

I was using the main power outlet.

I actually just managed to fix it after reading through a gazillion forum posts.

I had to change the WiFi channel in my router settings, it had smart scan enabled and must have changed the channel overnight. I set it to channel 6 (for 2.4 GHz) and channel 44 (for 5 GHz) respectively and turned smart scan off. There was no Plusnet router specific troubleshooting available so had to play around with it a bit.

Certainly not a fix for a noob 🙈 Was almost close to returning it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
judywoody
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update: I managed to find the IP address in my router interface - it was under "previously connected devices". But when trying to connect manually it tells me that no device with that IP address was found

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Are you using the TV's USB port to power the Express or a USB power adapter plugged into the wall?  If the former, try the latter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
judywoody
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was using the main power outlet.

I actually just managed to fix it after reading through a gazillion forum posts.

I had to change the WiFi channel in my router settings, it had smart scan enabled and must have changed the channel overnight. I set it to channel 6 (for 2.4 GHz) and channel 44 (for 5 GHz) respectively and turned smart scan off. There was no Plusnet router specific troubleshooting available so had to play around with it a bit.

Certainly not a fix for a noob 🙈 Was almost close to returning it.

0 Kudos
Cortez

Jump to solution

my Roku is not connecting to the Internet

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Cortez, we need more information.  What's the model number of your Roku device that's written on it or displayed under Settings->System->About?  Do you get any error messages or codes when you try to connect?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos