Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adirondacker
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 3930RW excellent WiFi signal but slow download speed

Our Roku Express 3930RW has an excellent WiFi connection.  Speed check of the connection shows it is performing as it should.  But the Roku Express shows a download speed of >1 mbps.  Software is up to date.  No other device in the house has any speed issues.  What is up, and how to fix?

6 REPLIES 6
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express 3930RW excellent WiFi signal but slow download speed

How fast is your internet? How far away is your Roku to your router? Have you restarted your Roku, modem and router? When did you purchase your Roku and from where?

0 Kudos
adirondacker
Reel Rookie

The internet speed is 120 mbps.

The Roku is between 30-35 feet away.

Both are over a year old.

The Roku has been restarted multiple times, as it gets power from the TV.  

The router has not been restarted.  I will do that this morning.

Our Roku TV is not having any issues, and the Roku Express just started this issue a couple of days ago.  I was just told another Roku is having the same issue.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Move the Roku closer to the router. See what happens. The Roku model you have only works on the 2.4GHz channel. The 2.4GHz is slower. Your Roku TV is dual band and it can work in the faster 5.0GHz network. 120 Mbps internet speed is good. If your Roku is moved closer to your modem and gets faster speed then you found your issue. A Roku, modem and router should be restarted at least once a week. Same goes for smartphones and computers. Also plug your Roku straight into the wall outlet with the provided A/C power adapter. TV USB power is not enough current and can cause premature failure on your Roku 

0 Kudos
adirondacker
Reel Rookie

Hi Billieannie,

Restarting the router and modem fixed the issue.  I didn’t think to do that since other devices were working.  I’ll have to remember to do that each time it happens, even when I don’t think it needs to.  

Thank you for the help.  I appreciate it very much.

Pete

BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

You should get into the habit of restarting any electronic device like once a week. I restart all my Roku’s, phones, computers, modem and router once a week. Glad I could help 

0 Kudos

After reading a few of the other posts (and this one), I was able to resolve a similar issue by swapping from my 5G connection to the 2.4 connection. Instantaneous improvement to my TCL's download speed. Went from streaming (with buffers) at like 480p to perfect 4k. Happy hunting!

0 Kudos