Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ingez2000
Channel Surfer

Roku 4k+ connectivity issue (NO SIGNAL)

Jump to solution

Having the same problem (NO SIGNAL message) as many others.  However there are couple of differences :

• NO SIGNAL disappears after I hit HOME button and stick works normally
  • If I power off/power on with couple seconds in between, there is no problem, but if I wait between off/on, problem resumes

Performed all suggested solutions (different HDMI port, reset, etc).  Stick is only a week or so old and behaved itself this way from the beginning.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4k+ connectivity issue (NO SIGNAL)

Jump to solution

@ingez2000 

The Volume and Power buttons on the Roku Remote are strictly "TV Controls". (interact with TV via IR/infra-red).

The Roku devices have no on/off capability (short of providing/depriving a power supply).  After a period of inactivity, they enter into a low-power/standby/sleep mode.  As such, once they have entered into sleep mode, the "Home" button on the Roku remote "wakes" the Roku device up. (very similar to how a computer may enter a sleep/hibernate mode requiring you to press a key on the keyboard to wake it up).

If you want your TV and Roku device to both come on at the same time, then you can try enabling both the HDMI CEC inside your TV settings (use your actual TV remote, go into the Settings, and look for HDMI CEC, and enable it), and then enable Roku's "1-touch play" CEC feature under Settings/Control other Devices/1-touch play [checkmark to Enable].

Note: different TV manufactures may use different trade names for HDMI CEC, so a web search for HDMI CEC and the particular TV manufacturer will let you know what they call it. (Here are some common ones in Roku support article https://support.roku.com/article/360034303013).

With 1-touch play enabled, pressing any button on the Roku Remote (other than the volume and power buttons) will simulataneously power on the TV, wake the Roku device, and switch to the appropriate HDMI input that the Roku device is plugged into.

You will still need to press Home when you are done streaming (in order to return to Home Screen and stop using bandwidth), and then press the Power button to turn off the TV.

-----

As for the No Signal message mentioned by both @renojim and @Strega2, it is normal if the TV does not detect the presence of equipment on the HDMI port. (ie. will not detect a sleeping device, or a dvd player if the dvd player's power is off or in standby mode).  On some of my TV's the screen will be blue or red depending on the manufacturer, rather than displaying a No Signal message.  The device normally has to be "up and running" for the HDMI port to detect the "signal".

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
renojim

Jump to solution

That's probably the normal "power saving" option kicking in after 20 minutes.  Pressing any non-TV control button on the Remote will wake the stick.  If you don't like the way it works, you can turn off "power saving" under Settings->System->Power.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
ingez2000
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for suggestion. Do not believe it is the case as NO SIGNAL appears ONLY when I first turn on ROKU. After I hit HOME it does not show up again until I power off, and then appears after I power it on 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Do you mean you are actually powering down your Roku – such as by pulling the plug? (The power button on a Roku remote is for the TV, not the Roku.)

In any case, when I go to my TV, and switch to my Roku, I expect there to be No Signal, unless I also quickly pressed the home button on the Roku remote.  My other HDMI devices are the same in that they need to be turned on (Blu Ray player etc.) or woken up (satellite box etc.).

I don’t consider “No Signal” to be a problem – just a statement of status.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
ingez2000
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I do power off/on with remote.

Why do you consider NO SIGNAL to be normal ? And how does HOME button resolves the problem ? In the past when I used cable TV services NO SIGNAL appeared only when something was wrong with input source...

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

“No Signal” only means that the TV is not detecting an HDMI signal on the currently selected port.  That happens whenever the device is off/asleep/or disconnected. Or if you select the wrong port.  It’s just information. Not anything that is inherently normal or abnormal.

Pressing Home wakes a sleeping Roku, which causes it to emit a signal on it’s HDMI port.  So therefore, there is no longer “No Signal” there.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
ingez2000
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My ROKU was not off/asleep/or disconnected.  Problem happens only when I turn on the device so 20 min "sleep" does not apply (I also turned off "power saving" feature).

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@ingez2000, the power button is strictly for the TV.  It doesn't affect the Roku device at all - there is no way to turn it off.  As @Strega2 said, "No signal" is normal.  What exactly are you concerned about?  If pressing Home restores the signal, then it's working like it should.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ingez2000
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am just curious why "If pressing Home restores the signal, then it's working like it should" ?  I am no expert but was expecting normal connectivity without a need to press HOME button

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@ingez2000 

The Volume and Power buttons on the Roku Remote are strictly "TV Controls". (interact with TV via IR/infra-red).

The Roku devices have no on/off capability (short of providing/depriving a power supply).  After a period of inactivity, they enter into a low-power/standby/sleep mode.  As such, once they have entered into sleep mode, the "Home" button on the Roku remote "wakes" the Roku device up. (very similar to how a computer may enter a sleep/hibernate mode requiring you to press a key on the keyboard to wake it up).

If you want your TV and Roku device to both come on at the same time, then you can try enabling both the HDMI CEC inside your TV settings (use your actual TV remote, go into the Settings, and look for HDMI CEC, and enable it), and then enable Roku's "1-touch play" CEC feature under Settings/Control other Devices/1-touch play [checkmark to Enable].

Note: different TV manufactures may use different trade names for HDMI CEC, so a web search for HDMI CEC and the particular TV manufacturer will let you know what they call it. (Here are some common ones in Roku support article https://support.roku.com/article/360034303013).

With 1-touch play enabled, pressing any button on the Roku Remote (other than the volume and power buttons) will simulataneously power on the TV, wake the Roku device, and switch to the appropriate HDMI input that the Roku device is plugged into.

You will still need to press Home when you are done streaming (in order to return to Home Screen and stop using bandwidth), and then press the Power button to turn off the TV.

-----

As for the No Signal message mentioned by both @renojim and @Strega2, it is normal if the TV does not detect the presence of equipment on the HDMI port. (ie. will not detect a sleeping device, or a dvd player if the dvd player's power is off or in standby mode).  On some of my TV's the screen will be blue or red depending on the manufacturer, rather than displaying a No Signal message.  The device normally has to be "up and running" for the HDMI port to detect the "signal".

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102