Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ed_Acciardi
Reel Rookie

Roku 4802X is now a brick

I have (3) Roku 4802X players that all just suddenly stopped working yesterday.  I can connect to my home WiFi network, and I can set up the internet connection just fine - it even puts up the check mark to denote a solid internet connection, but when I try to launch any app, it just stalls out.  Some apps return a network error, like Netflix; others just stare back at me stupidly.

I’ve reset the devices dozens of times, and did a factory reset on two of them, so they’ve re-loaded every app (all out of order, of course). I’ve reset the router more times than I can count.

They all work fine when connected to my iPhones WiFi hotspot.  Just can’t seem to get them on the **bleep** internet.

I’m left with $300 worth of paperweights.

anyone have a solution to this yet?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4802X is now a brick

If they work when connected to your hotspot, that would indicate an issue with your network even if everything else is working.  Restart/reboot everything involved (gateway/modem/router) and then restart your Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Ed_Acciardi
Reel Rookie

I’ve rebooted the fiber modem, router (Orbi) and Roku dozens of times. I’ve factory reset the Rokus. Every other networked device in the home is working perfectly. The Rokus were working perfectly for over a year, until yesterday, when they all just suddenly stopped working. What are the chances of that happening?

I’ve changed nothing in my router setting. I’ve changed nothing in my Roku settings. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Ed_Acciardi 

In the Orbi, (assuming you have wifi6 model), verify in the wifi settings that you are still set for n/ac/ax in the 5ghz.  In the Security settings, verify that WPA2/WPA3 is being used. (for troubleshooting, try using WPA2-only).

If still a no-go, try changing the wifi password. (avoid special characters for troubleshooting, just use numbers and letters). Then restart both the router and the Roku device again.  Then make sure you enter the new password correctly in the Network Connection Screen for the Roku.

There can be an issue with DFS and channel width if set to 80/80 but that is Orbi model dependent.  Your 4802 can support 50-64, and 100-144 so as long as your router is set to use 20, 40, or 80mhz, you should be good to go.  80/80 may have issues because it introduces ch.42 into the mix which is not currently reported as supported by Roku.

https://support.roku.com/article/21332729601687

https://kb.netgear.com/000060378/Which-Dynamic-Frequency-Selection-channels-does-my-NETGEAR-device-s...

-----

If you are able to connect an ethernet cable from one Roku 4802 to the modem (not the Orbi router) and stream properly, then narrowing it to the Orbi setup (since also able to connect to hotspot).

If the modem and the hotspot give you normal function, then I would try Factory Resetting the Orbi (and accompanying satellites, if any).

Feel free to post back with Orbi model number (and satellites) if above still did not help or still having issues. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ed_Acciardi
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the response… I would not rule out this being an ISP issue. My provider, Matrix Connected Fiber, made some changes to their end last week. Other folks in town are complaining (on the Facebook group for our town) about being unable to stream. They’re a very small company, and their support people are impossible to reach.

0 Kudos
Ed_Acciardi
Reel Rookie

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply!  I really appreciate it.

my Or I system is quite old (4 years) and is officially ‘end of life’, as there are no more firmware updates available.

The router is an RBR40, and it is running firmware version 2.7.4.24. I have 3 satellites, all model RBR30.

Theres no menu on my router, either in Basic or Advanced, that allows me to select which protocols the router is operating in.  I can select the 5GHz channel, but it only goes up to 48, which is the channel I’m using.  I tried changing it to 36, but it made no difference.

These Rokus were online without issue for a year or longer.  It’s possible that my ISP screwed things up, as they went down for a whole day last week to make some upgrades to their end.

Your other suggestions are a bit over my head for my skill level, I’m afraid.

My next move will be to reset the Orbi and all the satellites to the factory defaults.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.