Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
l1undy

Problem with roku ultra & Vizio HD tv

My Roku ultra is connected to my Vizio 65" M series HD TV. I have the Roku plugged in to the so called best HDI input. Every time the Roku goes from a program to a commercial triggers the input channel & the input info comes up on the screen. The real problem is when that happens the sound mutes for a couple of seconds. I miss the first few seconds of both the commercial & the program audio when the commercial is over. This happens on YouTube & ESPN. The Roku didn't used to do this. It started about 6 or 8 months ago I think. Maybe some time before that. I loose track of time but I know it didn't always do this. I have tried changing the HDMI input to no avail. I have looked for a possible setting to change to fix it but haven't found one.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Problem with roku ultra & Vizio HD tv

@l1undy-

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item?   If you don't have this setting, don't bother to read the rest of this post. 

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps.  Every time the source refresh rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout or other display disruption that some find objectionable. 

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, when going in/out/between  commercials, wherever the refresh rate of the source material changes. 

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, the Roku converts and sends everything at 60 fps so the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly and you don't get those frame rate transition disruptions. 

The tradeoff here is that, non-60 fps sources may not appear as smooth without a Roku refresh rate adjustment, depending on whether your Roku or your TV does a better job of refresh rate conversion.  You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X