Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajraught

No wifi EVER - does it need to be updated

Jump to solution

My in-laws do not have internet or wifi. They do have a Philips 50PFL4662/F7 TV connected to Dish Network. I think I know the answer but they currently show a version 7.5.0 and a build of 8111-66. They just got a new voice remote and there is no Remotes and Devices in the setting list. Does the tv need a major update?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No wifi EVER - does it need to be updated

Jump to solution

Believe it or not, I have a TV on the same version.  It doesn't have the "Remotes & devices" menu entry either.  According to this, you have to have 9.3 or higher to use a voice remote.

I almost hate to suggest the update because I firmly believe if it ain't broken, don't fix it, but if they want to use that remote then there's no way around it.  Remember that you won't be able to go back if there's something they don't like about the update.

You have two options for updating it:

1. If your phone has a hotspot feature, connect the TV to it and then perform the update in the normal fashion from Settings->System->System update.
  2. Download the firmware from here and follow the directions. 

For the second option, you'll need a USB flash drive and when it asks for a serial number it wants the serial number found under Settings->System->About.  Also, it will ask for a "Hardware ID".  Enter the number on that screen next to "Roku TV" (four numbers followed by an X).

By the way, the current version is 12.5.5 and can't even be expressed in the old firmware since they didn't plan for two digit versions.  You'll see something like, "Select 'Continue' to upgrade your TV from version 7.5 to D.5.5" if you try the "System update" connected to your hotspot.

Just in case you/they didn't know, the voice feature won't do anything without an Internet connection and wouldn't do much for them anyway if they only watch Dish.

Good luck!

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No wifi EVER - does it need to be updated

Jump to solution

Believe it or not, I have a TV on the same version.  It doesn't have the "Remotes & devices" menu entry either.  According to this, you have to have 9.3 or higher to use a voice remote.

I almost hate to suggest the update because I firmly believe if it ain't broken, don't fix it, but if they want to use that remote then there's no way around it.  Remember that you won't be able to go back if there's something they don't like about the update.

You have two options for updating it:

1. If your phone has a hotspot feature, connect the TV to it and then perform the update in the normal fashion from Settings->System->System update.
  2. Download the firmware from here and follow the directions. 

For the second option, you'll need a USB flash drive and when it asks for a serial number it wants the serial number found under Settings->System->About.  Also, it will ask for a "Hardware ID".  Enter the number on that screen next to "Roku TV" (four numbers followed by an X).

By the way, the current version is 12.5.5 and can't even be expressed in the old firmware since they didn't plan for two digit versions.  You'll see something like, "Select 'Continue' to upgrade your TV from version 7.5 to D.5.5" if you try the "System update" connected to your hotspot.

Just in case you/they didn't know, the voice feature won't do anything without an Internet connection and wouldn't do much for them anyway if they only watch Dish.

Good luck!

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.