Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Neither Roku or Roku stick will connect to the internet

@TrooperDada326 

Yes. But you stated that 21 Mbps is "way too slow." It's not. You may prefer more for whatever reason -- multiple simultaneous UHD streams, **bleep** network, whatever -- but a statement that it is "way too slow" is not correct.

You've listed several things in various responses across the boards today that are correct. This wasn't one of them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Oh I beg to differ. I’m a cord cutter of 10 years experience. I setup home networks, fix computers and more. Just cause your able to watch it doesn’t mean your fully getting the optimal viewing. Just getting by isn’t the same as exceeding. When the passing score is a 70 on a test and you get a 71 did you really pass? Barely. But a 90 would be a lot better. If you live alone. Have no other devices on your network then maybe. But that’s not realistic. The FCC says that 25 Mbps is considered high speed. I have 6 Roku devices, PS5, 3 Nest thermostats, 3 laptops and 3 smart phones. I get 500 Mbps for only $70/month. Even on 2.4GHz 75’ away my TCL Roku TV still gets 50-60 Mbps when I do a connection check. I have a centrally located Cox Gateway modem

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@TrooperDada326 

If we're gonna start measuring computer/streaming johnsons, I got you beat. You've only been streaming 10 years? You only have three laptops? How many Windows? How many Macs? How many Chromebooks? How many Linux? Oh, and what about desktops? You only have six Roku devices? How many Apple TVs as well? How many Chromecast devices? How many Fire TV devices? How many Raspberry Pi streamers? And you only have one WAP on your network? And it's part of a single point of failure?

Now I will admit that my experience with Apple computers only goes back to 1990. And my Microsoft Windows experience only goes back to 1987. And I didn't log on to my first computer overall until 1978, so yeah, there are plenty of people with more experience than me. Just not in this conversation.

The truth is though that's all silly stuff. We do not need to do that, but you wanted to go there. You never know how someone else is armed. So let's stop that, okay?

My point remains that your categoric statement that 21 Mbps is "way too slow" is evidently false by my successful streaming at lower speeds. There are circumstances where you will definitely need more to avoid buffering, dropouts, and other issues, but 21 Mbps is plenty fast to stream.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

21 Mbps is bare minimum. It’s not rocket science. It’s a fact. When Amazon says “15 Mbps” that isn’t nominal. That’s minimal. Just like when you buy a PC game. It gives you recommend specs. But that doesn’t mean if you just meet those specs you’ll be able to play the game with everything enabled. You should go above and beyond those specs. Heck even my 82 year old mother has 200 Mbps and her TCL gets around 89 Mbps. Can you stream with 21 Mbps? Sure. But your not getting full clarity of 4K. Also 21 Mbps is just one test. It could drop down to 10-12 Mbps with is below actual specs. Go to any cord cutter website and they will tell you that you need at least 50 Mbps. I see this all the time when I go to customers houses. They get the bare minimum Internet speed and then they’re constantly complaining that they have bad picture quality and buffering. They upgrade their speed even just by a little and all the problems are gone

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@TrooperDada326 

I guess it comes down to who am I going to believe, some cord-cutter Website or my lying eyes.

But I noticed 21 Mbps has gone from "way too slow" to "bare minimum." That's an improvement.

There is no problem with getting faster speeds. I have 50 Mbps, but that's because that's the slowest Comcast offers here. It was 25 Mbps until they doubled all plans a while back, and my steaming didn't improve at all. I have good equipment and a good network.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend the extra money for bandwidth you'll never use. I'm saying you don't need to.

And, if you go back and read the response to which you felt compelled to chime in, the bandwidth in the image was not applicable. Had it been blurred out, the pertinent information provided would have been the same. Why you felt the need to change topics is beyond me. But if you're gonna do that, have a reason.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Karenatl
Binge Watcher

I have this same problem on a ROku stick, but not on my TCL Roku tv- both within 20 feet of each other and an ATT extender (4920). Also, the tv which has the stick (Sony Bravia- bought the stick because tv can’t download AppleTV app) has wifi built in and it works fine even when the roku says “excellent”(but doesn’t connect). 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

WiFi extenders are a joke and not needed. Unless your home is 3000 sq ft or more with tons of brick and concrete. Most newer modems (gateways) can cover at least 2000 sq. ft on there own. I have a very large apartment. It's about 1250 sq. ft with lots of brick. My Cox Gateway even reaches 75' out into the hallway. No extenders needed. Relocating your modem to a more central location is a better option. Which Roku Stick do you have? Even my older Streaming Stick+ is dual band. Connects to my 2.4 or 5.0 even being about 80' from my modem (gateway). Your extender does 2.4 and 5.0. Which network is your Stick attached to when this happens? Does it have a strong - excellent signal? What is the speed when you run a connection check?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Karenatl

Thanks for the post.

If your internet service provider is Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know if this works for you!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Karenatl
Binge Watcher

Thanks @RokuKariza-D . The 2.4 was already set to b/g/n and the 5 was set to n/ac (other option is just n). Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@Karenatl  Did you read my reply? This is only happening when connected to your extender? What if you connect to your modem without using the extender? if it works just fine then it's not a Roku issue. Extenders are not needed. What speed is your internet? 

0 Kudos