Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brickrow

My Roku Roku Express 4K+ will not connect to internet on many access points in my home

My new unit connects to 4 TP Link  WIreless Access points and the one TMobile Home Internet Gateway but will not connect to the internet(192.168.12. type address) while it does get access via  a no name/slower wireless access point.

I have changed the IP from DHCP to fixed and vice-versa to no avail.  I t has to be something Roku as we have many devices that use the same devices without a problem---all 6 cell phones do OK too.

I am looking for ideas before I go back to the always working Fire Stick and will appreciate any ideas.
Besides all the above, I can call Amazon for tech help but unable to do so with Roku, as far as I know.

Thanks for the time--I appreciate it.

Joe

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Roku Roku Express 4K+ will not connect to internet on many access points in my home

@brickrow 

If you are able to connect to the network, but not the internet, try verifying that the router is configured to use IPv4 protocol rather than IPv6.  With the mention of TMobile, some users have reported issues even when set to IPv4/IPv6.  Roku devices do not currently support IPv6.

If you are using a TMobile device like a Franklin T10 for internet access, and using the TP Links merely as access points (extenders, repeater, etc), and connecting via APN, then clone the default APN, change the IPType to IPv4.  Set this new APN as your default.  Restart both router and Roku devices and see if now able to connect to internet.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
brickrow

Re: My Roku Roku Express 4K+ will not connect to internet on many access points in my home

Thanks for the reply to my post.
My inexpensive wireless access point does not have a problem which would eliminate the tmobile gateway. All of the other Access Points are only set up for V4--we do not use 6 here at all so I am still looking for the resolution-I really appreciate your input.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@brickrow 

Have you verified that your TP access points are similarly configured as the inexpensive one. (Some brand and model numbers would help so can look up default settings and available features).

If using your Roku device on the 5ghz band, verify that the TP access points are using non-DFS channels 36-48, or 149-161. (Roku cannot use DFS 52-140 which an Auto setting may be choosing).

Not sure from your description if you are able to connect to network but not internet or both when using TP.

I would compare settings from cheap access point to TP settings and see what differences, if any, stand out.  If everything is exactly the same regarding all network protocols, password protocols, and IP protocols, then could be a firmware compatibility issue, but need to rule out a settings conflict first.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos