Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RF11WOLF
Reel Rookie

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

I have 6 Roku boxes and one roku tv, mostly with no issues at all, used on different networks as we take one away with us and one is at a friends caravan that we use, I would say that when our virgin hub was overloaded the Roku was the most affected but we had issues with nearly all our devices, new hub and all sorted, occasionally one plays up not sure why, last time was several weeks ago and it would crash certain apps,  solved by removing and reinstalling the affected ones, 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Hi @Ashle

Thanks for the post.

Could you reply here with the model number of the affected Roku device? It can be found from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > About. Also, since your internet service provider is Xfinity, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DJVoor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same issue - Roku Express HD (model 3941x) software V11 4193.   Sometimes the device wont make it more than 30 minutes before it loses the wireless connection all together.   Go to network settings and my network is not listed, even after refreshing.  The only thing that helps is a restart of the device, and it's hit or miss after that. 

I usually have to restart 3 or more times a day, while everything else in the house is fine.  XBox, Firestick, computers, iPhones, etc etc.  I have Verizon Fios gigspeed for internet.  

I'm getting ready to bring this turd back to BestBuy and unfortunately get another Firestick.   Roku seems like junk. 

0 Kudos
DJVoor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@yobra wrote:

No the internet just disconnects from the device. No error codes, just says you don't have an internet connection, please go to set up. Which u can't do, until the internet comes back. Normally it's around 5 minutes before it returns. I believe it's the software on the device as others have mentioned, has been going on for at least 3 years for me. With my current new all in one modem and my old one. Cox has no answers either. 

This is the exact issue mine has, it's NOT your internet.  If you restart the device it comes back immediately.  It's something in the cheap-o nix operating system they use on these devices, Im sure. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DJVoor

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

We suggest you try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
counselor
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Suggest everyone ditch their Rokus and get a Chromecast with Google TV.  i did that a year-and-a-half ago and have encountered no streaming issues since then.  Anyone want an old Roku?

0 Kudos
Sylvieknoell99_
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same thing happening to me . I live at an apartment that used to be kinda like a motel that you pay week to week but they switched to apartments . My roku tv loses connection literally every 2 days and I have to call the wifi customer service number for my apartment (I don’t have a router in my room, it’s free wifi that comes w the apartment) and they have to reset it every time just for me to have to call again in another 2 days . Roku customer service doesn’t know why it happens , wifi customer service doesn’t know why it happens , and nobody is able to fix it . It’s so irritating , but at least the line is open 24/7 so I can call to fix it at any time . Still, nobody wants to Have to call customer service every other day over the wifi . It’s annoying as **bleep** . 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Sylvieknoell99_

Thanks for the post.

It's possible that there may be wireless interference between the Roku TV and the wireless network that you are using.

Have you tried connecting your Roku TV to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issues?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Whats a mesh system. And i have spectrum and this started after we got new modem...so frustrating to be watching a movie and it loses signal but all other rokus and other devices still connected.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @Mistydawn555

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos