Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@yobra 

What Roku device (model number) and router model number do you have?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@yobra wrote:

Also when I set up the Roku on wifi, it connects to the 5g, I have both available on the router, 2.4 also. I can go into my router and change anything so I don't need to contact Cox. There's an update on the device that created this issue as other people have commented on here.

How did this get overlooked? There's an issue I see. Perhaps a typo, or I misread something. (EDIT: @AvsGunnar caught it, of course.)

You said earlier you have a Premiere. This says you are connecting via 5 GHz network now. The Premiere  (4620) and Premiere+ (4630) from 2016 support 5 GHz, but the Premiere (3920) and Premiere+ (3921) from 2018 are 2.4 GHz only.

The 4620/4630 look like a Roku 4 or Ultra. the 3920/3921 look like an Express. Which do you have?

And on each device with the issue, go to Settings > Network > About and report to what channel they are connecting.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

yobra
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

At work don't have the numbers but I'm using the stick now but it was doing it on the premier which I have also. 

0 Kudos
bff426
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have this problem on the two TVs we watch the most. Each of them has the Roku Ultra, model 4800 X. Each of them is ethernet connected to an Asus router. I have 4 Asus routers connected in a mesh system. The routers are 2 88U's and two 1900P's. The mesh system is connected by powerline adapters through my home wiring. The ISP is Comcast, but I have my own modem, a Netgear CM1000. The service and the modem are gigabyte, and I get roughly 150Mbps from the mesh nodes to the Roku.

In addition to the Roku being ethernet connected to a mesh node, I also have LG OLED TVs that are connected to the same mesh node, also via ethernet. Every time the Roku freezes and then gives me the message that the Internet has disconnected, I check the LG apps (same apps as the Roku) and the Internet is connected, and all the apps work.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's not modem or router settings, and it's not wireless, as I am ethernet connected. It's just the Roku. To the Roku employees who monitor here, I feel your pain. For more than two years, and 39 pages of replies, this still has not been solved. You are working with the information you are given. It is obvious that the engineers can't find this problem.

To all of the experienced streaming experts who voluntarily give their time, thank you. I have tried all of the fixes suggested, and the problem endures.

I will add one thing to this discussion. It has been my observation that I get this error after we have been watching for 3-4 hours. Makes me wonder if it is related to heat buildup. While the Roku is warm to the touch, it's not hot. However, that doesn't mean that there's not something, some component, that reacts over a certain temperature.

I offer this up to the board to see if other people have noticed the same thing. We watch TV in the morning for about 90 minutes. It never loses connection. Only after we have been watching continuously for over 3 hours do we see this.

Anyone?

0 Kudos
Klutz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

For the heat concern, you could try short term cooling. Try moving it, put a fan on it as a trial.

0 Kudos
RF11WOLF
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We had some connection issues which were solved with a new wifi hub, recently we had connection issues with one ROKU. sometimes would sometimes wouldn't connect even if it could see the network, the box was hanging over the coax from the outside aerial, moving it appears to have fixed the issue so must have been interference.

I love the ROKU so much, it's so easy to use that I just bought a ROKU smart tv, so in total we have 6 ROKU boxes and one ROKU TV, we carry a box around when we go on holiday so we can stream wherever we have internet, what I really like is the response of the remote controller and the home screen set up which makes connection to apps, digital tv and HDMI devices so easy especially on the ROKU tv, in most cases it recognizes the device, say Xbox and shows an icon so we don't have to flick through every input to see which device is connected to which HDMI.

Suhly

Jump to solution

It's the roku for sure. I am a wireless engineer and my roku premier loses connection randomly.nits not heat related as many times it is disconnected when I go to stream after it has been off for hours or even overnight.

I have tried multiple access points I have access to and all see the same issue. The roku randomly loses connection to the internet while every other device stays on with no issues. Cisco 2600, Cisco 2700, ubiquiti ap-nano, arube ap-345, Aruba ap-535. The roku shows the same disconnect on each AP.

The person who has ethernet connected roku and still loses internet should say it all. It's not a wifi issue, it's some inherent issue with the roku itself.

My 2 cents...

0 Kudos
UncleDano
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with a new Roku Ultra 4800R.

I can watch Live TV, and when I push the return button (<--) to go to a movie, the internet connection is lost.  I watch the buffering circle go round and round and it gets to 99%, but no further.

At this point I must go into settings, system, and select reset internet connection.  After Roku reconnects I can watch a movie.  But every time I change to a different source (Crackle, Roku channel, Peacock etc.) I must go back to the settings, system and select reset internet connection. 

This is a total pain in the neck to have to keep resetting this for every show I want to watch.

No other devices, computers etc. have a problem with losing the connection, only the Roku.

I think I want my money back! 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@UncleDano 

Can you clarify or expand on the details about what you're doing.

You say you're watching Live TV. Okay, but what app? It's not a Roku TV, so you're not using the antenna. Rather, some live stream through some service. Which one? I'll try to replicate what you're experiencing, but I'll need the details.

So if you'll give us more details, walk us through the steps, explaining which apps, we can try those same apps ourselves (if we have those apps) and see what we encounter. Oh, and don't say things like "I exited the app" because there are multiple ways to exit an app. I always use the Home button to exit an app, but if you're using something else, that's important. That's the level of detail we need.

Give us some more details and let's see what we can find out.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
UncleDano
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes it is the Live TV  on the Roku channel.

It doesn't mater what app I use, Freevee, tubi peacock, crackle; once the endless buffering begins, the internet connection is lost and I must reset it, go back to the app and play the movie, after it ends and I push the upper left button on the remote to return to select another movie or different app, the connection is lost and must be reset. 

0 Kudos