Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Go into the Power settings and enable "Fast TV Start".  It should maintain its connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MitchellMB
Reel Rookie

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

Awesome. Thank you and I will try that and report back. Thanks again for the tip!

0 Kudos
wittykitty

Jump to solution

I do not know how to do any of this without losing all my internet.  I need someone to guide me through this problem.  I am computer challenged and afraid of doing anything.  Please help me as the instructions are not particularly understandable to me.  I have a Roku Premiere.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem with my brand new Roku 4800X; it will drop the show and go back to the Home screen. Happens once every hour or two. And I have it connected by LAN cable, not wireless. Two other Roku‘s (older versions) in the house work fine, as does everything else. I tried disconnecting and rebooting the router and the Roku but it didn’t help. Based on the number of responses here, it sounds like it’s time for a firmware update. 

0 Kudos
gutters1

Jump to solution

Having the same problem but with 2 roku devices > I have 4 in total and 2 of them have no internet signal these rokus didnt have this happen on the same day one died months ago. so i did the reset on both rokus and that didnt work. upgraded my router that didnt work. now I have 2 rokues that wont get wifi on any tv I plug them into. please help. im very frustrated .

0 Kudos
MitchellMB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That worked! 2 days in a row and no drops! Thanks for the tip/solution! 

0 Kudos
wb2dyb
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I fiddled with this POS all day yesterday. I have narrowed the problem down a bit. I put a second older router in as a second router behind the main one, both are DD-WRT. The second one is a Linksys WRT54GT-TM. If I set for WPA2 personal or any other WPA schemes the Roku doesn't see it in a network scan. If I set it for WEP it sees it and connects just fine. If I drop security it sees it and connects just fine. Go back to WPA and the Roku doesn't even see it in a scan. So tried manually entering the SSID in the manual or hidden network selection, figuring it just doesn't see the SSID, no good, that does not work. This all started with the 9.4 update. 9.3 was bad enough, it caused network issues. Is there anybody at Roku that knows how to code this stuff????? It's a mess. Also, is there any way to prevent updates? Like I do with any other software or OS, even my iPhone. No automatic updates, they universally break what was working fine.

But for those who also lost connection try the WEP encryption. Don't leave it on since it has vulnerabilities. I suppose you could use WEP and then block all but the MAC addresses of the devices you need to connect to it.

GeorgeC

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have 32 inch tcl roku tv with same issue. In fact when it is connected it says the wifi signal is excellent yet it still drops wifi connections. Or will sit there with "loading". I have done a system reset (using menu options ) which sometimes seems to help. Router is about 20 feet away. This happens with 2g and 5g connections. very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Klutz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The total loss of connection could now be related to a problem with v9.4 Roku has acknowledged to me that there is an ongoing problem.  Check your version and see if the following applys.

Check the community topic of: Re: Can not wifi connect after v9.4 upgrade

0 Kudos
CantBeForReal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Truly amazing. Roku won't stay connected to the WiFi ever anymore. I can get it back by restarting the router but what a pain in the @ss. you are watching a program and then you have to pause 20 minutes for Roku, or you go to turn on a game and you have to wait 20 minutes for Roku. Tell Roku this is happening and they offer this wonderful suggestion that you spend 20 minutes resetting your router. Is this even a real response, or did they do it to mess with everybody? Time to switch from Roku to a company that has programmers that understand what they are doing.

0 Kudos