Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

@bwcoppola @Minimar2 

Thanks for the note.

Can you please answer the following so I can get a better understanding of what you are seeing with your devices?

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with the answers to the above questions along with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Re: Loosing internet connection and everything else in the house works still except the roku

Jump to solution

It appears that many of our Rokus went out at the same time. I have a Stick+, and a Sharp Roku Tv that unconnected themselves to my wifi, and cannot reconnect. I’ve reset internet connection in Roku, reboited both Roku & modem/router, and entered the Roku Secret Screen and enabled network pings. Still no luck. However, my old 2011 Roku 2 is working fine. 

Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

2 of my 3 Roku Units disconnected themselves right after their last system update checks this afternoon, a Stick+, and a Sharp Roku TV, both purchased in 2018, and worked fine until this afternoon. My old 2011 Roku 2 is still connected and operating normally for its age. All my other devices connected to my WiFi are fine. I’m thinking a virus in the system update that disconnected them, now cannot connect/reconnect, and making them useless? 

Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

After 6 hours of rebooting 2 of my 3 Roku and modem/router, I contacted Roku Support. They had me do all it again, then said contact internet provider. My old 2011 Roku still works fine, and is connected,  along with my iPhone, iPad, smart lights & outlets.  Its NOT my wireless that is the cause! Greatly “DISAPPOINTED” by lack of Roku “Support”. 

Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a fix that hopefully works on yours.  After 7 hours, and no help from Roku Support Chat, I completely disconnected the 2 of my 3 Roku that wasn’t connecting, unplugging both the  HDMI and power cables. Then I rebooted my router-modem. I waited about 10 minutes before reinstalling the Roku, then “reset internet connection” in settings, which then automatically reboots. Once it was back on Home screen, went to “set up internet connection”, selected my home network, entered passcode, and it finally connected successfully.  Since this happened to so many of us at the same time, I still believe it was caused by something in the update check. Good luck!

msb85

Jump to solution

I could use some assistance as well. Like the others, everything else is connected to my network and functioning just fine except for the Roku. It was working fine up until Thursday and then it started saying that it couldn't connect to my network even though the signal shows "strong". I even had a technician from my internet provider to come out today to check out my connections and everything is working. I can't count how many times I have restarted and unplugged the Roku hoping that it would start back working.

Schmooey
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Disconnect both HDMI & power cables from your Roku /Roku TV. Turn off your router/modem. Wait about 10 minutes, then turn the router back on, wait 5-10, then reconnect/reinstall the Roku. Once at Home screen, go into settings, network, and do a reset - that will delete your SSID & password, so make certain you know each. Roku will restart, go to settings, network, set up network, select your network from the scan, enter your password, and finally you’ll be connected. Good luck!

e5278

Jump to solution

I had this same issue on a Roku Express purchased 2 weeks ago. I've done all of that and gone online with Roku/chat. Nothing helped. They told me it sounded like a hardware issue and the only thing to do was return it to Best Buy and get a new one. The Roku Streaming stick+ purchased 1 week ago still works - so far. sigh.

Mmeneely
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We had the internet provider come out and see if he could figure it out. So far since then we haven’t had any issues. We are on the 2.4 and we were having issues when the router was in the same room. I’m hoping not to have the issues again. Everytime I reset my router I have to reconnect a few other things and it’s just irritating so hoping our problems are over. 

Rachelalex

Jump to solution

I’m having the exact same issue. Roku won’t connect to internet despite multiple restarts and modem restart. Everything else is working.  Wtf?!