Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worrelybird
Reel Rookie

Internet download Speed is Poor

I am constantly having issues with my Roku and streaming.  When I check connection it shows Excellent Wireless signal strength but Poor (0Mbps) Internet download speed. I called my ISP and they had me do a speed test on laptop next to TV and shows 33.73 download mbps via speedtest.net. Sometimes we can watch but mostly we cannot any more.  The tech guys at ISP thinks its my device as no other issues with phone or laptop with service.  Thoughts?

94 REPLIES 94
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Internet download Speed is Poor

@worrelybird 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this improves your network connectivity?

Check out some additional wireless troubleshooting tips here: 
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
mandatory42
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue.  I'm using a Roku Premiere (which I bought used) connected to a wireless router/modem that's about 15-20' away.  The cords attached to the router aren't long enough to move it any closer to the Roku.  My Internet service through Mediacom is 100 Mb/sec, and I have an Amazon Fire tablet and a Kyocera cell phone that can both connect to my WiFi network with no issues.  I've tried changing the wireless broadcast channel and enabling the 5GB signal through my router's control panel; neither of these have worked.  I do seem to get better download speeds at night for some reason, but that doesn't do me much good first thing in the morning when I want to catch up with a few YouTube videos before I go to work.  Are there any other ways to fix this, or should I just upgrade to an Ultra and use a wired connection instead?

0 Kudos
Coolbreez168
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue. It started about a week ago. I have 2 other Roku devices that work perfectly fine. I have a Roku tv and than I have 2 Roku express. The one in my daughter's playroom is the one that is saying "internet download speed is poor". I changed the channel, nothing, moved my router closer, nothing, I took the Roku out of her play room and plugged it into the tv in the front room it says it again. I plug the "original Roku back in the front room, no problem. I even bought a new Roku tv and it gave me the "internet download poor". I've done nothing different!!! How do I fix this. 🤬

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Coolbreez168 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips on our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

If adjusting your wireless network isn't helping, send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll get you in touch with our support team to see if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tom14

I’m having the same problem download speed is slow. How do I fix this. 

0 Kudos
LArocks

I am also having the same problem. My ISP shows fast speed. When I speed test on laptop and phone, I get high speed. But as of last night, BOTH of my Roku Devices (one is Express, the other is built-in to TCL TV) are getting "Poor" speed (0 to 1 Mbps). 

Coolbreez168
Reel Rookie

My Express in the front room is still working and my Roku Tv is still doing well. I couldn't get my other Express to work in my kid's playroom. I even went out and bought a newer Roku tv and I still had the same issue. I got a booster for my internet still had problem.☹️ So I broke down and ordered a Fire Stick from Amazon and I haven't had any problems. I wish I had an answer to help solve the issue. Good luck to you. I hope you can get them to work. 

0 Kudos
mandatory42
Reel Rookie

To anyone still having this problem: I've had it happen twice in the past three days, and the most reliable solution for me was to log into my router and change the wireless channel setting.  The exact method will vary depending on your make and model of router, so you may need to check with your ISP or search for the owner's manual.  Apparently, Roku recommends channels 1, 6, and 11 because they tend to have the fewest overlapping frequencies.

jengren

I am having the same problem all device working fine in my house except my Roku expressses. I have 2 and they both stpoed working at the same time. They now say I have an excellent connection but poor download speed 0 Mbps. Do you ever get yours fixed? The fact that they both stopped at the same time make wonder if there was a bad update.

0 Kudos