Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IPv6 Live in RokuOS 12.0!

I don't really see any reason for Roku to support IPv6 unless the old threat of running out of IPv4 address space is back. Do you know anyone whose ISP refused to allocate an IPv4 address? Is there an app you'd like to add but can't because their CDN isn't dual-stack? 

I was just wondering if they jumped the gun on their claim of "availability", or if their list of supported models is inaccurate. And I still wonder why it was activated on two of my Ultras for a while, but not the third. I'd like to see it working on all 3 if it's supposed to.

0 Kudos
iXe8ta
Channel Surfer

You will find answers in these very forums. For some, native IPv6 support is necessary.

0 Kudos
jt240z
Channel Surfer

I know that T-Mobile has started to ship devices that are IPV6 only as their system is now primarily IPV6.  You can still change them to IPV4/V6 for now.  IPV6 is coming and Roku needs to be ready for it.  Roku will be losing customers if this isn't resolved soon.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I have 2 westinghouse Roku TVs that are showing IPv6, my Sharp Roku TV is showing IPv6 and my Roku streambar pro is showing IPv6 too.

0 Kudos
lohphat
Streaming Star

IPv6 isn't just about address space.  This is not and either/or issue. It's AND.

The time for IPv6 to be up running is NOW. So that WHEN IPv4 has reached its limits, IPv6 is operational and carrying the load. Running in dual stack mode is a necessity not a nice to have.

Commercial airlines took 20+ years to replace their prop fleets with turbofans.  They didn't just stop one day and switch.

IPv6 offers more than just address space expansion but larger MTU and better multicast features which makes IPTV and other streaming TV services not have to congest the networking with individual unicast streams but multicast channel streams (sparse mode multicast)  to spare the network bandwidth.

You don't prepare for winter at the first storm, you start way ahead, or you will not be ready.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Much of this IPv6 traffic is streaming services.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Larger MTU? Yeah, right.

If anyone finds that their Roku, especially if it's a 4670X, has had IPv6 enabled, let me know. I suspect that the support pages chose to use the term "available" rather than "enabled" for a reason. Hopefully there will be a toggle in the setup/network choices visible at some point.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

I have an Ultra showing IPv6, and an Express 4K+ that doesn't.

mrliu
Reel Rookie

me too ,Express 4K+ that doesn't.

0 Kudos
iXe8ta
Channel Surfer

Still not on the Roku Premiere, though.

I wonder if Roku ever said why.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

They haven't said anything at all. Looks like they are activating on randomly selected units and collecting data, which is not uncommon for systems with a very large footprint. They may also be testing for connectivity before managing full activation. Misconfigured IPv6 could lead to poor experiences, which Roku wants to avoid.

Test your own IPv6 health using https://test-ipv6.com. If your home network has issues, Roku won't activate.

0 Kudos