Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QueueUnderflow
Binge Watcher

Hotel and Dorm Connect not working for Xfinity wifi hotspot after changing Xfinity accounts

I recently switched Comcast/Xfinity accounts. Previously I had been using the xfinitywifi hotspot on my Roku because it doesn't count against my monthly data cap. I set it up with the Hotel and Dorm Connect option. Now that I've switched Xfinity accounts, I need to log in with my new credentials. But the Roku does some strange things. About half the time it acts like the Internet connection is just fine, but I try to go to any apps they hang due to lack of Internet. The other half the time I get the Hotel and Dorm Connect option, but after about 5 seconds it acts like I already authenticated and again says the Internet connection is fine.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hotel and Dorm Connect not working for Xfinity wifi hotspot after changing Xfinity accounts

Your problem may have been caused by an update to your router which affects some Roku models. If you receive this update it changes the router's wifi connection parameters for the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to g/n. This has been reported for routers supplied by Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from the g/n wifi set by the update back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's configuration controls you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Hotel and Dorm Connect not working for Xfinity wifi hotspot after changing Xfinity accounts

@makaiguy  According to the user they have a Roku Stick. The Sticks are dual band. What you are explaining affects the base model Roku Express which only connects to 2.4GHz

0 Kudos
QueueUnderflow
Binge Watcher

It's not actually my router, it's a public xfinitywifi network that somebody else is broadcasting, presumably from their Comcast-provided router. It was working fine yesterday but then I switched accounts (yesterday, but I guess it kept working for another day) and now it no longer works. For whatever reason when it shows the Hotel and Dorm Connect screen it goes away in about 5 seconds. Not sure why it thinks it has Internet when it doesn't.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@QueueUnderflow  So are you in a hotel? Dorm? Are you a current xFinity internet subscriber? So you’re trying to connect to an Xfinity hotspot which is designated for Xfinity customers only correct? Why aren’t you using your WiFi?

0 Kudos
QueueUnderflow
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022 I'm at home and a Comcast customer but I like to use the public xfinitywifi network insetad of my own network because it doesn't count against my data cap. As I understand it "Hotel and Dorm Connect" really just means you have to open a browser to finish connecting to the Internet.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@QueueUnderflow  Do you go over your 1.2TB data cap often? Using the public WiFi for your Roku is never a good idea. Comcast often uses custom modems to broadcast free WiFi. My Cox does but I disabled it. I really wanna be connecting off of somebody’s Wi-Fi that you have no idea who they are. Even if it’s a Comcast hotspot. Is this your Comcast hotspot or just something you’re picking up? The problem with connecting to a Comcast hotspot is that you need to verify your a Comcast customer first. You do that by opening a browser. A Roku doesn’t have a browser therefore causing your issue. 

0 Kudos
QueueUnderflow
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022 I have been close to the 1.2 TB cap before. I use the network for work and do a lot of video conferences plus frequent large downloads. The public hotspot is not from my router, it comes from the clubhouse so I'm not too concerned about using up somebody else's bandwidth. I realize I have to complete the connection on a browser but that's exactly what the Hotel and Dorm Connect option is for (I did it previously). Again, this was working just yesterday, and the only thing that changed is my Comcast account.

0 Kudos
KDrayton33

@QueueUnderflow  Did you ever find a solution to your problem?I'm experiencing the same issue 

0 Kudos
QueueUnderflow
Binge Watcher

@KDrayton33 Nope, never did. I've just been using my own wireless and luckily I haven't gotten too close to the data cap since. But very frustrating, I can't understand why the Roku thinks it has Internet access on the Xfinity wifi hotspot when it clearly does not.

0 Kudos