Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Error 009 wont connect to wifi

@Rich_T 

Thanks for your post. 

Our support team is currently reviewing the information you have provided and will be in touch with you via email with an update once they have reviewed it further. In the meantime, we recommend that you continue to work with the support team as they are best equipped to assist you in resolving the issue you are experiencing.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Rich_T 

It is a little weird that the Streaming Stick will connect to the hotspot but neither of your network bands.

In the Archer routers, there is a MAC address Filtering feature under Security/Access Control that whitelists and blacklists devices. (this will usually prevent the device from even connecting to the network though).  Sounds like you can connect to network but not internet.  Worth a look into.  If you have any accompanying ISP apps (ie. on your phone), verify that nothing is "Paused" or "Blocked" regarding the Streaming Stick.

Although it would not explain the 2.4ghz issue, I would also verify that the 5ghz is not configured to use DFS. Roku cannot see or use DFS channels (52-140).  If your Roku Streambar is currently using the 5ghz, then you can rule this out as well.

Another thing I would try is to disconnect the Devolo extenders while troubleshooting and move the Streaming Stick as close to the router as possible in order to try a connection.  Wondering if maybe there is an issue with the Long Range Wireless Receiver cable of the Roku Streaming Stick. (receiver is built into the cable).  Possible it is connecting to the hotspot because the phone/hotspot is probably pretty close to it during its connection.   Normally getting a hotspot connection helps verify that the Roku device is actually working.  Use of extenders sometimes confuses Roku when experiencing a connection issue. (Roku saves last known connection and then gets confused which AP to connect to when there are multiple.)

If it is not a hardware issue, I would comb through all my router settings (and any mobile ISP app settings) that may be blocking the internet access of the Roku Streaming Stick.  If you go to Settings/Network/About you should see a MAC address that might be helpful in the search.  Normally in ISP apps, devices will be listed with names, but sometimes also MAC addresses.  In the router, almost everything will be MAC address or LAN IP numbers regarding the connected devices.

---

The above would be where I would start while waiting for Roku Support to contact you.  Feel free to post an update.  Include the Roku OS Software build from Settings/System/About just to rule out old/stuck software as a potential issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Rich_T
Roku Guru

All access control and mac filtering is set to off on the router

Wifi settings : 2.4Ghz on channel 4, 5Ghz on channel 36

Devolo extenders on or off, connected or not wifi on or off makes no difference.

No mater what the stick+ just shows as connecting to wifi, then a red cross for internet followed by error 009

The following devices work with no issue on both the 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi:

Roku Streambar

Roku Express ( borrowed so will need to hand it back)

and all other devices - the only device that isnt working is the roku streaming stick+

Device info:

Model: 3810EU - Roku Stremaing Stick+

serial number: YH005N754527

Software version 11.5.0 build 4312-50

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Rich_T 

If there is no separate mobile ISP app capable of managing device connections, the only two things I would do next is to try a high band channel on the 5ghz (149-161) and also create an open network for testing (no password).

If those things do not work, coupled with everything else you tried, and supported by the facts that the other Roku devices are connecting and operating fine, I think you can reasonably conclude something is defective in either the device or the long range wireless receiver that needs replacement.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos