Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cath1

Connection problem 014.40

We have 4 Roku devices and a Roku TV.

Suddenly, yesterday, all 4 roku devices ceased to connect.  Giving a 014.40 Error code.

The Roku TV connects just fine

We rebooted both the internet and the roku devices. No change.

Our passwords have not changed , phones, laptop still  function on the wifi. The wifi signal shows as excellent, on all devices including the rokus?

I'm at a loss, as to what the problem could be.

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connection problem 014.40

It would help to know what model Roku players you have. 🙂

Since all four failed at the same time, it's likely not something specific with the Roku players. I'm guessing your Internet provider might have made some changes to your WiFi router that Roku players don't like. The most common is the Mode setting on the 2.4GHz radio. Some Roku players don't like the Mode set to G/N Only, and prefers the Mode to be set to B/G/N. 

It's also possible your router changed the WiFi channel being used to one unsupported by Roku, but I wouldn't expect that to trigger an error message. If the radio channel changed, the Roku simply wouldn't see the WiFi and would not connect, but I don't believe that would trigger an error code. On 2.4 GHz, Roku players support channels 1-11, and if the router changed to 12, 13 or 14 the Roku cannot connect.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connection problem 014.40

@Cath1 

For some reason, sometimes the Roku just refuses to connect and throws this error.

Try changing the wifi password and remove special characters from it.  Then restart both the router and the Roku device again.  Try the new password and see if now connects.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.