Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hicksy11
Reel Rookie

Can’t connect phone to Roku Stick when both are connected to the same WiFi Extender

This may be a very niche issue but any help is appreciated.

I’ve had the Roku app for a long while and connected it to my Roku stick lots of times with no issues however now can not connect my iPhone to the Roku stick anymore.

In my bedroom I connect my phone to a wifi extender and do the same with the Roku stick. Both connect and work fine on this network but now can’t form a connection between the two devices anymore. If I swap to the home wifi on both devices then I am able to connect them, but this isn’t helpful as when I’m in my bedroom the connection is so poor on both devices that I’m unable to load and play any content.

As mentioned, I had previously had no issues connecting the phone to the stick on the extender network but now they simply won’t connect so any information on why this might be and what I can do to sort it is appreciated.

For reference I have already deleted and reinstalled the app on both the stick and my phone. I’ve forgotten and reconnected to the network on both devices. And I have also removed the stick as a known device from my roku account and reconnected it. All with no luck solving the issue.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t connect phone to Roku Stick when both are connected to the same WiFi Extender

One of two possibilities. One is the extender has a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices. The other is the extender is acting as a router and might somehow be blocking access as well. But my guess is the first one.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.