Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't Connect to WiFi anymore

There are some router setting issues that can prevent establishing Roku wifi connections. And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's 2.4 GHz configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK AT ALL
    A) Some recent router updates have turned off the router's use of the 2.4 GHz band. Some Roku models, notably Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620), are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have 2.4 GHz only Roku model and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

B) In the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, all Rokus support channels 1-11, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

C) Rokus with dual-band wifi radios can connect to the 5 GHz wifi band in two ranges of channel numbers, 36-48, and 149-165. If your router supports 5 GHz channels outside these two ranges make sure your router is set to use a channel with these ranges and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside these ranges.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below to instructions for reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Lesliear0

Hmmm...I wish this had been mentioned when I was purchasing this Roku. 

I cannot find any information on how to reconfigure on the Netgear website. 

Would getting a new router automatically solve the problem? Is this just an issue with older routers? I bought my current router in 2018.

Thanks.

-Leslie

Lesliear0

Thank you for the links...

0 Kudos
bkh91171
Reel Rookie

My settings were already correct with Cox. Clearly this is a Roku issue. I will moving on from Roku.

North2
Reel Rookie

Same problem here as everyone else...can't connect and can't play channels on my new Roku Express. The initial setup on my device was difficult requiring 20 attempts and obviously didn't work. Spectrum is my ISP.  All my other devices work just fine.  Now I am without TV and I am not a whiz at reconfiguring anything in my router. So frustrating!! I think ROKU needs to step up and help us. When I search for a number to talk to a real person, it says my Roku Express doesn't qualify for that! I will be looking for other options for TV because my Roku is now useless to me.

AvsGunnar

@North2 

With Spectrum, will usually have to call them directly to make these changes to the router settings.  Tell them you "need your 2.4 ghz band enabled/turned on" and that you need your "2.4 ghz Wireless Mode set to b/g/n" so your Roku Express can operate properly.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
richtergrp

Kariza, thanks for your comments. I, too, cannot connect to the Internet on just one tv (all other devices are connecting). Have restarted router and Roku on this one tv to no avail. 

Saw somewhere on here to do a reset and it took me back to “Let’s get started” screen. Chose English. Looks for network, list of networks doesn’t come up. Scan again to see all networks. Nothing shows up. Stuck in this loop. 

What should I do? Thanks for any help you can provide.

AvsGunnar

@richtergrp 

Try connecting your Roku device to a mobile hotspot if available to you on the 2.4ghz band.  If the device shows up, then helps show network interface/chip is working and is capable of making a wireless connection

If so, either use hotspot to complete setup and activation, or verify that your 2.4ghz band is actually enabled on your home network and change the wireless mode to b/g/n.

If your device does not show up on the mobile hotspot, good indicator there is something wrong with the network interface. (internal failure normally).

0 Kudos
Mrsdutchie
Channel Surfer

My router has both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.  Restarting the router and Roku device doesn't work.  Sometimes it will pick up the 2.4 but once I enter my password info I get the message it can't connect.  It's clearly a Roku issue. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mrsdutchie 

Unfortunately, not everyone who uses these Roku devices understands how routers, home networks, the internet, and these devices actually work and usually say "this must be a Roku issue."  Sometimes it is, but usually it is how the home network and router is configured in order for the Roku device to connect to both.

The Roku device must first be capable of connecting to the home network (the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band), before being able to access the internet for streaming.  Two different processes, two different requirements.

Some Roku devices are only capable of using the 2.4ghz band and cannot see or use the 5ghz band.  Only dual-band devices will be capable of using the the 5ghz band capability.

If you post your Roku model number (Settings/System/About), your router model number (sticker on bottom or side), and your ISP (internet service provider), can maybe provide some steps to get you connected.  Some issues are specific to either the device, the router, or the ISP.

0 Kudos