Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Favreon
Reel Rookie

Attaching a Roku Ultra to a Roku TV...any issues?

I am looking to move to digital content when saving television programming. Since 2002 everything has been put on dvd, but want to capture it to my hard drive now. Thoughts would be to use a Roku Box going through an HDMI splitter, with the splitter leading to the Roku TV and also to my laptop via a Hauppauge.

Am I making this too difficult, or this there a simpler way? Or can you send the signal out to the splitter from the Roku TV, and then back to the TV and also the Hauppauge/laptop?

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Attaching a Roku Ultra to a Roku TV...any issues?

I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do, but you can't capture streaming content like that which would be viewed using a Roku channel/app to a hard drive.  Copy protection is just one issue.  If you're assuming you can use the Hauppauge capture device to record something streaming through a Roku device then it won't work.  It doesn't support HDCP.

If you're talking about a Hauppauge  tuner, then that's a different matter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Strega
Roku Guru

From the title, I was going to say that the only issue that tends to come up is that sometimes people get confused about which remote to use.  (Since the remotes looks a lot alike and the UIs of the two devices also look a lot alike.)  But then, I too got lost in the description of the other stuff.

0 Kudos
Favreon
Reel Rookie

Let's try to clarify what I'm wanting to do. I currently record via DirecTv to the DVR and then record to DVD using a DVD recorder. I want to eliminate having DVDs of everything and just put my recordings into digital files via a Hauppauge device. A fellow enthusiast suggested I would need a Roku Box, running it to the TV and also to the Hauppauge via an HDMI splitter and the Happauge would be connected to a laptop. He uses an Apple TV box and has Youtube TV. I have DirecTv and a Roku TV (which I love!). I didn't think I would need a Roku box and upon further studying today, I should be able to attach my Hauppauge to the DirecTv receiver and I will be set. Does that make more sense?

Thank you

0 Kudos
renojim

So what you're recording is the output of the DirectTV box, not the output of the Roku device?  Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Favreon
Reel Rookie

That is correct

0 Kudos
renojim

Ok, now I think I got you.  There's no need for anything extra unless you want to send the DirectTV output to both the TV and the Hauppauge simultaneously.  In that case you'd need an HDMI splitter, but no additional Roku device.  So the connection would go Direct TV box to the splitter and then one output of the splitter to the Hauppauge and another output to HDMI input of the TV.  I assume you currently have the Direct TV box going to an HDMI input on the TV, so you'd just connect that cable from the splitter to the TV instead of from the Direct TV box to the TV.

Now how you view those recordings on the TV is another matter.  The easiest way would be to connect the laptop to the TV, but there are other options if the recordings are in a format the Roku TV can handle (or even if they're not, but that's even more complicated).  That requires using something like the Roku Media Player channel/app and a DLNA server on the laptop or another channel/app like Plex.

I hope I'm making sense.  Smiley Happy

Favreon
Reel Rookie

Thank you...you understand it perfectly and that is exactly what I came to the conclusion would work. Once the recordings are on the laptop they will be edited, split if necessary, and store on a portable hard drive.

Thanks again for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.