Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjdusa
Reel Rookie

Are you at A hotel or a dorm or home

Jump to solution

I have recently experienced a problem, connecting my TCL Roku television to the Internet. Each time I search for a connection it asked me if I am at a hotel or dorm or at home. I select at home and it goes back to the settings and start all over again. I’ve tried restarting the TV and the router With no success can somebody please help. I look forward to your response. Thank you 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Are you at A hotel or a dorm or home

Jump to solution

Welcome, @rjdusa

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We noticed that you're having trouble establishing an internet connection to your TCL Roku TV. No worries; we'd be more than willing to get it working for you. 

Do you have a personal internet router, or are you trying to connect to a public internet connection? 

If you have a personal internet router and you encounter trouble connecting, refer to the steps provided below for troubleshooting. If you are trying to connect to a dorm or a hotel with Wi-Fi, visit this support article for more tips: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet.

Here's how to troubleshoot if you have a home Wi-Fi: 

• Connect to an alternative internet connection. To isolate the issue if it's on the internet or TV issue, try connecting your Roku TV to an alternative connection such as a Mobile Hotspot.
  • Reset your Network Connectionnetwork reset is helpful if you experience issues with multiple streaming channels. It is done through the Settings menu and to do that, just navigate to Settings > System > Advance System Settings > Network Connection Reset. After that, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again.

These troubleshooting steps are intended to resolve the issue you're experiencing. Therefore, we highly suggest doing them and seeing if this resolves the problem.

Feel free to reach out for more assistance.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, @rjdusa

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We noticed that you're having trouble establishing an internet connection to your TCL Roku TV. No worries; we'd be more than willing to get it working for you. 

Do you have a personal internet router, or are you trying to connect to a public internet connection? 

If you have a personal internet router and you encounter trouble connecting, refer to the steps provided below for troubleshooting. If you are trying to connect to a dorm or a hotel with Wi-Fi, visit this support article for more tips: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet.

Here's how to troubleshoot if you have a home Wi-Fi: 

• Connect to an alternative internet connection. To isolate the issue if it's on the internet or TV issue, try connecting your Roku TV to an alternative connection such as a Mobile Hotspot.
  • Reset your Network Connectionnetwork reset is helpful if you experience issues with multiple streaming channels. It is done through the Settings menu and to do that, just navigate to Settings > System > Advance System Settings > Network Connection Reset. After that, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again.

These troubleshooting steps are intended to resolve the issue you're experiencing. Therefore, we highly suggest doing them and seeing if this resolves the problem.

Feel free to reach out for more assistance.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Pelk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

None of those  steps resolve the problem. I have unplugged my TV, reset my router, gone onto my hotspot and updated the system. Was on chat with representative for over an hour and they ended up ending the chat, started another chat sent pics if what tv was saying and they said call my service provider. Why dont you get educated people to really help with this issue. My other tvs are working fine so not my internet. This literally started on the afternoon of the 25th. So its something with roku. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

So the TV connects to your hotspot but not your router/AP?

Roku is rolling out v14 of their software.  Does the TV that won't connect have the update while the ones that do connect still have v13.x?  You can check the software version under Settings->System->About?

Is there anything we should know about your network like you use a content/ad blocker (like pi-hole) or you have some non-standard/exotic configuration?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.