Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhmom1

Apps not loading content error code

I have a Roku Express and on Tuesday, when I turned it on nothing would load. I tried to connect to the Roku channel app. I got the error "Content failed to load press ok to reload." After multiple attempts I moved to another app. I continued to get this message. I have found in the past I could delete the app and add it back and some glitchy issues would fix themselves. I deleted the Roku channel and when I went to add channel I received the same content failed to load message. I began trying to determine my issue. When I went through the internet connection in settings it would show I had wifi, a strong connection, etc. but then the check box for internet connection would get an x. I connected to my wifi in the settings again, with all boxes having green checks but when I went back to try to open an app or add an app I was back to the content failed to load message. The only app that will play is YouTube. I was able to watch it yesterday. I am trying to determine if this is a Roku issue or an internet issue. I have had my Roku express for a couple of years and I am wondering if I need to get a new device. I have gone through all the troubleshooting advice and I am still in a conundrum. I went so far as to bring my device to work to connect to wifi and see if I could figure it out. The device will not even find my network at work to connect to, which leads me to think this may be my Roku device going bad. Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I have seen some other postings on this forum from the same time frame about this similar issue but there have been no helpful suggestions.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apps not loading content error code

@bhmom1 

What is the model number showing for Express from Settings/System/About?

Also, post router model number and ISP (internet service provider) and any error message "numbers" you are seeing.

---

Initial thing to try is to unplug the Roku device from power for a minute or so.  Then reboot your router.  Once fully boots up, see if you are able to connect.

If you have a mobile hotspot available to you, see if you are able to connect the Roku device to it and stream normally/launch apps etc.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
bhmom1

The model number for the Express is 3930X.

I am not currently at home to be able to give you the router model number. I was able to see the following information from the Roku device itself:

Network Name: Vsat-24g-828BE0

Wireless MAC Address: 10:59:32:BD:25:1F

I am at work and the device will not even find a wireless network to connect to here. My ISP is Viasat.

I have done all the unplugging, rebooting, etc.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@bhmom1 

Depending on your work setup, may not be able to connect since this is a 2.4ghz-only device that relies on WPA/WPA2 (Personal) security protocols.  If using any type of enterprise router, the Roku device will likely not be able to connect it unless your work is using a more common residential/consumer router and has 2.4ghz enabled (or at least a 2.4ghz-enabled guest network available).

A quick look at the Viasat ISP indicates use of Exede routers or TP-Link (so verify later at home if this is the case with yours).

If Exede, try going into the Settings of the router while at home (either using mobile app or web browser 192.168.1.1:8080) and verify that the 2.4ghz band is enabled and using Mixed Mode (b/g/n), and verify that the "wireless channels" are limited to using channels 1-11.

Also, change the wifi password and remove any special characters from it (just use numbers and letters).  Then Save your changes, and restart both the router and the Roku device.

----

A good way to help determine if a device issue or a network issue is by using a mobile hotspot.  Just make sure you are using the 2.4ghz band on the hotspot (or enable the setting "maximize compatibility" , if available).  This helps determine if the Roku antenna/module hardware is working.

Feel free to post an update after trying these things.  Take note of any error messages you are seeing if still a no-go.

Hopefully, this 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

bhmom1

Thank you! I will look once I get home. I just don't understand why it worked on Monday but not on Tuesday. I just needed to know if I should purchase a new device. I know these things don't last very long especially as quickly as technology changes.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.