Using your smart home devices

Learn to set up your smart devices in your Roku house. Discover how to use Roku with your home assistant, find troubleshooting tips, and get community advice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jodyl1971
Reel Rookie

Camera Detection and LED Strip for Notifications

Jump to solution

What I am trying to is use an LED light strip as a visual notification when a camera detects a person.

Right now, I have an event that turns on the LED strip in the color and brightness I want if a camera detects a person, but if I add an off event, it never comes on since it appears to apply all the settings at once. 

If the Front Door camera detects a person, I would like to have my LED strip lights flash for about 10 seconds, then turn off. I don't see a way to set a detection event this way. At the very least, it's missing a timer/pause action, but would be even better if it had a 'flash X times' option that left it in an off state after flashing. And the reason I want this is because I could set different colors for which camera detects a person, too. 

Has anyone else found a way to do something similar? This would make for some great accessibility options for the hearing impaired (I know people who do visual flashing lights for doorbells, phones, etc. and thought this would be a great improvement and one I would find useful

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Camera Detection and LED Strip for Notifications

Jump to solution

@jodyl1971 

Thanks for the inquiry.

The Roku Smart Home LED strip does not have the ability to flash in conjunction with other Roku Smart Home devices.

However, I have passed along the feedback to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jodyl1971 

Thanks for the inquiry.

The Roku Smart Home LED strip does not have the ability to flash in conjunction with other Roku Smart Home devices.

However, I have passed along the feedback to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
jodyl1971
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Great, thanks!

Right now, I have the event trigger set to turn on the LED strip when a specific camera detects motion. It's frustrating because I have to manually turn it off every time since adding an off action to the event rule doesn't seem to work. I get stuck with the strip being left on. 

I would be happy with a flash/pulse option with a setting to flash x number of times then turn off. However, I would settle for the actions having the ability to set an explicit action order and a wait/delay time between to send them in a controlled order and pace. That way I could 'stack' on and off actions with a delay between them to get the flashing I am looking for. Tenths of a second would be even better as I could build both flash and pulse options at a rate more likely to get attention. I do have other ideas, too, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here. 🙂 

I will keep an eye out for future updates and hope this gets implemented in the not-too-far future 🙂

0 Kudos