Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Voice Remote Pro battery protection

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post in this forum since it mostly seems to be ignored by Roku, but ...

There are loads of complaints posted re Voice Remote Pros that are not accepting charges, or have greatly reduced battery capacities.

Leaving rechargeable devices connected to their chargers when they have reached full charge can generate overheating and impair battery life and capacity.   Some Voice Remote Pros my be defective out the gate, but I suspect overcharging may be at the root of a large number of these complaints.  Plug in the remote to charge, leave it indefinitely, fry the battery.

I've had a Voice Remote Pro in service for about 9 months.  Having learned my lesson on my phones, I try to disconnect the remote from the charger when it reaches full or nearly full charge.  So far I've noted no deterioration in chargeability or battery capacity.

My recent Samsung phone has an option to prevent overheating and battery deterioration by limiting battery charge to 85% after which it cuts off further charging.  I also have a Lenovo tablet with a similar option, but it limits it to 60% charge, which seems to be an overly severe limitation -- when I want to charge to higher levels to extend my use time I have to keep an eye on charge level and cut it off manually, which is far too easy to screw up. 

My suggestion is to add a similar charge limiting option to the Voice Remote Pro (or knowing Roku, bringing out a Voice Remote Pro+), limiting the charge to a fairly high level but still sufficient to prevent overheating, maybe 85-95%, to give maximum use between charges and yet protect the battery.  I'd give serious consideration to having this feature enabled by default.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X